PDA

View Full Version : cutting a triangle

Dean D Collins
07-30-2016, 9:22 PM
I need to cut 4 triangles, each 4" high, 3" long and have an angle of 15 degrees. I have a table saw and a bandsaw. Any suggestion to cut these so the four are the same and also to do it safely.

John Lankers
07-30-2016, 11:34 PM
Crosscut sled on the tablesaw, use clamps to hold the workpiece not your fingers.

Wayne Lomman
07-31-2016, 6:08 AM
As with all small pieces, cut them from one end of a much longer piece of timber. It isn't quite clear from your description what the exact final shape will be but as John says, using the table saw will be the best way to go. Cheers

Mike Cutler
07-31-2016, 8:33 AM
Yep, crosscut sled will do it safely.

One question though. Is the 15 degrees correct?
If the measurements are 4" tall, opposite side, and 3' long, adjacent, then it makes a little more sense. If this is what you need, then you need to make an angle jig and set it for 15 degrees, relative to the opposite side.

mark mcfarlane
08-01-2016, 5:41 AM
I need to cut 4 triangles, each 4" high, 3" long and have an angle of 15 degrees. I have a table saw and a bandsaw. Any suggestion to cut these so the four are the same and also to do it safely.

One way to make identical pieces is to cut them at the same time, i.e. stack the wood. You need to find a way to hold the stack safely as it passes the cutter, and you need to secure the pieces together in the stack (screws, double stick tape,..)

As others said, some kind of crosscut sled with an attached 'hold down clamp' would provide a safe way to hold the pieces on a table saw or band saw.

Rich Engelhardt
08-01-2016, 8:03 AM
ou need to secure the pieces together in the stack (screws, double stick tape,..)Once upon a time - -many years ago in high school shop class - - we learned to attach pieces of wood to each other temporarily by using Elmer's School Glue (or any other white glue that stays water soluble) and newspaper.
Just apply glue to one piece, then stick a piece of newspaper on it and apply glue to the other piece and clamp them together until the glue dries.
Go ahead and stick the wood on a lathe and turn it, gang cut it, route it,,,,whatever you want to do to it.
Once done, start to separate the pieces by sticking a sharp chisel in between the newspaper and wood - just enough so you can pour water in, and soften the glue.
Once all the pieces are apart, the School Glue washes right off.

glenn bradley
08-01-2016, 8:10 AM
As mentioned, a sled with clamps for small parts.

Attach small parts to larger parts for holding safety. Stops clamps to the sled fence will assure accuracy. How thick are we talking about? Can they be stacked with double sided tape and gang-cut?

Ellen Benkin
08-01-2016, 9:45 AM
Don't all triangles have 15 degree angles? Isn't that what makes them triangles?

larry senen
08-01-2016, 12:51 PM
3 angles to add up to 180 degrees. As in a 30, 60 , 90 triangle . I think the op is talking about a pyramid. I still haven't figured out this thread.

Steve Milito
08-02-2016, 10:24 AM
3 angles to add up to 180 degrees. As in a 30, 60 , 90 triangle . I think the op is talking about a pyramid. I still haven't figured out this thread.
Indeed, the angles don't add up for triangle with a height of 4 units and a base of either 3 or 1.5 units.

Art Mann
08-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Doesn't make any sense to me either. Perhaps the OP can provide a sketch or picture of something similar.