PDA

View Full Version : My first all walnut bowl shaped thing :)

Steve Russell tucker
07-29-2016, 3:20 PM
Hiya All ! hope everyone is well I just finished my first Walnut "almost looks like a bowl"341646341647 although compared to awesome stuff you all are doing I kinda feel like I'm lying when I say I turn bowls :) thank you all for the help and advice and have a great day !
Thanks for looking , S.

Roger Chandler
07-29-2016, 3:36 PM
For a first, this is pretty nice, Steve. I see some elements of form, consistent wall thickness that could be improved upon, but those will come to you if you study bowl form as you see others works posted, and with more of these under your belt. Nice finish!

Thomas Heck
07-29-2016, 3:56 PM
Great 1st bowl.

Mark Greenbaum
07-29-2016, 4:10 PM
Very well done. My first was a walnut explosion. I glued it back together (what pieces I could find) to remind me of what not to do.

Aaron Craven
07-29-2016, 4:16 PM
It looks like a bowl to me! Actually reminds me of my own first walnut bowl.

Great work!

Curtis Myers
07-29-2016, 7:54 PM
Nice job. Got a love Walnut.

daryl moses
07-29-2016, 7:57 PM
Great looking bowl Steve. Your coming along nicely.

Steve Russell tucker
07-29-2016, 8:01 PM
Thank you All very much! I have tons of improvement to do but I love trying so that helps :) Mr Chandler you are absolutely right I feel like Form /Design are my biggest issues ,I think when I'm turning I feel like it looks good to me but I also think that I'm still a little scared of explosions or flying wooden shards of death and that plays a big part in how the bowl comes out ,but I learn a whole lot from you all on here and AAW forums that helps a ton Thank you all again !

Robert Hayward
07-29-2016, 9:21 PM
I think it looks pretty good, whether the first or tenth.

robert baccus
07-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Very simple form with a lot of class--very good.

Jamie Straw
07-30-2016, 12:17 AM
Thank you All very much! I have tons of improvement to do but I love trying so that helps :) Mr Chandler you are absolutely right I feel like Form /Design are my biggest issues ,I think when I'm turning I feel like it looks good to me but I also think that I'm still a little scared of explosions or flying wooden shards of death and that plays a big part in how the bowl comes out ,but I learn a whole lot from you all on here and AAW forums that helps a ton Thank you all again !

Nice first bowl, really nice finish Steve! Great to hear you say "I love trying...." Me, too, love the process, which is good for us beginners.:p As far as form goes, you might want to take a look at The Art of Turned Bowlsby Richard Raffan. It has really helped me start to develop an understanding of how the elements, proportions, etc., work together to please the eye. Very well written and illustrated.

Steve Russell tucker
07-30-2016, 1:29 AM
WOW thank you again!!, compliments like that from you all, Is the equivalent of Muhammad Ali saying you throw a great Jab :)!! thank you so much!