PDA

View Full Version : Bug in newest job control 10.5.2.1

Keith Winter
07-29-2016, 1:06 PM
Heads up there is a bug in the latest 10.5.2.1 version of job control. The Z value in the software does not scale linearly like the old version. So if you keep a database of Z values they won't work in 10.5.2.1.

Hopefully this saves you guys the headaches we occurred when we upgraded from 10.4.2 to 10.5.2.1 and encountered this bug. I've reported it to Trotec but if anyone else encounters it please report it as well. The more people that report the bug the faster Austria will fix it. Bug affects my 2 speedy 300s and also our speedy 400 all on different computers. Restoring back to job control 10.4.2 fixes the bug.

Keith Winter
07-29-2016, 1:18 PM
I should also note it's not offset related that was my first guess. You can set the offset to wherever you want and make it match up for one z height but no matter what it won't scale properly when you go to the next z point. It's truly a bug, the math between different z levels is inaccurate/changed from prior versions/and or broken in the software from what Trotec support and I could tell.

Gary Hair
07-29-2016, 5:58 PM
Can you give an example of the error? I'm not understanding what the problem is so far and I do a lot with Z values in templates.

Heads up there is a bug in the latest 10.5.2.1 version of job control. The Z value in the software does not scale linearly like the old version. So if you keep a database of Z values they won't work in 10.5.2.1.

Hopefully this saves you guys the headaches we occurred when we upgraded from 10.4.2 to 10.5.2.1 and encountered this bug. I've reported it to Trotec but if anyone else encounters it please report it as well. The more people that report the bug the faster Austria will fix it. Bug affects my 2 speedy 300s and also our speedy 400 all on different computers. Restoring back to job control 10.4.2 fixes the bug.

Keith Winter
07-29-2016, 6:44 PM
Sure Gary,

So let's say you has 3 files you run every week.

Z heights for example:
#1 at 5.5
#2 at 4
#3 at 2

In all prior job controls even if you upgraded the Z would state consistent, if you had your offset set correct where job #1 was at 5.5 Z then you could be assured your order 3 jobs or different 300 jobs you had in your spreadsheet would all work if you had the offset correct.

On the new job control it doesn't behave that way. It tells you that you are at 5.5 but when you use the manual focus tool you find it's out of focus. So then you play with the offset to make 5.5 back in focus again. However that now makes job #2 out of focus at 4 Z height, and #3 out of focus at 2 Z height. So you adjust the offset again to fix it for job #2 so the Z height in job control matches the 4 Z you previously recorded and is in focus again. Then that breaks jobs #1 and #3. If you have hundreds of jobs it makes quite a mess of years worth of work recording Z heights since nothing matches up anymore and it doesn't appear to scale linearly anymore. Does that make sense?

Same problem on 3 different machines with the latest firmware and on 3 different pcs when I upgraded to that newest version of job control. When you remove the new version and go back to 10.4.2 viola! all the Z heights start working again once you set the offset one time as they should.

Gary Hair
07-29-2016, 8:52 PM
I don't use offsets so maybe it wouldn't affect me. I either have the settings in the material parameters for my stock customer parts or I use the focus tool on the odd jobs.

Kev Williams
07-29-2016, 11:27 PM
I don't have a Trotec but my Gravo's table will do auto-raising like you're talking about. I have several jobs where I have the table raise to different heights-- titanium bracelets come to mind, there's 'zero' at the high point plus 4 automatic height raises to account for the arc radius... I can see where having jobs saved that the new software changes those distances would be a royal pain!

Sounds like it may be a steps-per-revolution error for the table's stepper motor, like the old software factored 1.2° steps and the new software is factoring 1.5° steps... Maybe?

Whatever it is, hope they fix it!

Keith Winter
07-30-2016, 10:33 AM
I don't use offsets so maybe it wouldn't affect me. I either have the settings in the material parameters for my stock customer parts or I use the focus tool on the odd jobs.

The offset I'm referring to is the universal setting in the system admin settings. It's used to compensate in variances in bed height from the factory. Typically it's a set during install and forget it setting. I think you're thinking of that z height adjustment thing under material settings which is different.

I think that sounds like a reasonable explanation Kev, wish we as laser users had access to fix it, as it is we have to wait for Austria to understand the bug (as you can see this bug is hard to explain) and then for them to fix it.

Gary Hair
07-30-2016, 10:54 AM
Actually Keith, this is a much better explanation than you started with. To be honest, I still didn't know what you were talking about until this post. Now I'll have to check my machine and see if it's truly at the height is thinks it is at, although give the fact that I'm using a 1.5" lens for 99% of my work, it if were off more than about .03" it would be out of focus and I'd notice that right away.

The offset I'm referring to is the universal setting in the system admin settings. It's used to compensate in variances in bed height from the factory. Typically it's a set during install and forget it setting. I think you're thinking of that z height adjustment thing under material settings which is different.

I think that sounds like a reasonable explanation Kev, wish we as laser users had access to fix it, as it is we have to wait for Austria to understand the bug (as you can see this bug is hard to explain) and then for them to fix it.

Keith Winter
07-30-2016, 11:31 AM
What version of job control are you running?

Gary Hair
07-30-2016, 12:39 PM
What version of job control are you running?

I'll check when I get back to the shop.

Mike Null
07-31-2016, 12:46 PM
Gary

The attached shows the window for changing the offsets. It's entirely possible that yours are correct and should not be changed. The x/y offsets determine whether your machine is zeroed in at the upper left corner. There will always be a numerical value to these offsets. Once set they do not need to be changed unless you knock your machine out of alignment. The z axis will also have a numerical value and is also a "permanent" setting unless something causes the focus to change or you change lenses.

The xy offsets came in handy when the Speedy's had the old homing sensors which were quite easy to knock out of alignment.