PDA

View Full Version : What type of scroll saw should I buy?

Seth Poorman
09-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey Guys

I have a chance to buy a Old powermatic scroll saw in good condition.
I really dont know much about scroll saws, But I do know that there are two kinds. The kind that the over arm stays motionless and the blade only go up and down.
And then Delta has one that the Over arm will go up and down w/ the bade.
My question is what type is the best???? :: Any input would be deeply appreciated....... :confused:
Thanks Seth.....:)

Michael Ballent
09-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I have the DeWalt and really like it... Things you should look for is ease of changing speed (either via belts or a dial) What type of blades does it use (pinned or pinless) the pinless designed are much preferred because the hole you drill for inside cuts can be much smaller. Can the table be tilted and if so can it tilt in both directions. If you can I would test drive the Powermatic and see how easy it would be to change the blade and try to do some fret work (will test out the ease of blade changes some designs can be nightmares) and change to different speeds.

HTH

Jim Dannels
09-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Seth: The only one I would consider is a parallel arm machine.

There are many good ones out there and many that are not much good.
I started with a Dremel and would say it convinced me I liked scrolling and it was worth investing in a very good saw. Which I have yet to do.
A test drive at the Iowa State Fair has convinced me, that I would no longer be satisfied with anything but an RBI Hawk. So am saving now.
There are good saws available for less(The 20" Dewalt, I understand is nice), but once my mind is made up I would always have that glimmer of doubt if I bought less than I wanted.

Seth Poorman
09-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys,the powermatic machine that im looking at is in good condition, I wasnt in the market for this machine,but for $200 smackaroos I thought maybe I couldnt go wrong.
Seth..

Don Baer
09-26-2005, 1:31 PM
Seth,

I have an Old Craftsman 24" scroll saw that has the top arm that is stationary. Whats nice about this design is the blade goes strieght up and down. My Neighbor has the kind that the top arm moves. I have noticed on his that it is a lot noisier and there is some front to back rocking motion to the cut. I don't know the Powermatic saw. One of the nice things about my saw is with a standard 5" blade I can scroll through a 1/2" thick material and with a 6 1/2" Blade I can scroll though a piece of material up to 2". This came in very handy this past weekend when I needed to duplcate a small piece of Maple that was missing from an old dresser my son is restoring. It was 3/4" thick and about 2 1/2" wide by 1 1/2 high and has some intricate curves to it. It would have been inpossible to do with a hand jig saw due to it's size and I would have been hesitant to try it on a band saw.

Phil Phelps
09-26-2005, 1:58 PM
I've spent more time on a scroll saw, I always called 'em a jig saw, than you can ever want to do. It's a wonder I have feeling in my fingers!. I had used a 1956 Delta, plunge cut, saw. I could take it apart in my sleep, I've replaced that many parts. After 35 years of this self abuse, I needed to do some tiny work. I borrowed an Excalabur and then bought one. It makes the plunge cut seem like coping saw with the noise of a jet engine. I've heard the DeWalt parallel arm is a pretty fair substitute, but to really get a fine saw, you have to spend the bucks or find a good used one.

Rob Bourgeois
09-26-2005, 5:12 PM
I will throw my 2 cents in..( I am not meaning to sound like I am flame anyone)

IF you arent goginto be doing alot of work adn only an occasionla piece or 2. I would go for the PM you are looking at. I have a Dremel that cost about that much and people are constantly saying that everything is junk unless you spend big bucks on it. BULL.

In a scroll saw, the most important thing is the blade( try Flying Dutchman ). Changing the blades is something that you will get better on with practice on your own machine. Sure you migth be able to throw 1000 bucks( or alot more) at a saw and get one that is quiet and vibration free. Or you can spend the 200 and come away with a machine that will allow you to see if you like it. If you want to spend a little more I would suggest the top of the line Dewalt instead of the really expensive saws.

I did the below scrollwork on a "cheap worthless saw" according to some scroll saw snobs in another forumn. I have sold some to friends (of their kids)...and made enough to pay for the saw 3 times.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12116&stc=1

Seth Poorman
09-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks Again Guys

Im thinking that this Powermatic will do just fine in my shop, about all I am going to do w/ it is use for Marquetry that I will apply to a few pieces that Im designing. But first Im going to take the marquetry class at Woodcraft, Im a self taught woodworker for the most part , but I thought for $75 I could get a first rate education on the subject. Seth..

Phil Phelps
09-27-2005, 9:07 AM
I will throw my 2 cents in..( I am not meaning to sound like I am flame anyone)
I did the below scrollwork on a "cheap worthless saw" according to some scroll saw snobs in another forumn. I have sold some to friends (of their kids)...and made enough to pay for the saw 3 times.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12116&stc=1
It's kind of like learning to play an instrument. You need to start out on a rental or an inexpensive one. You need to know if your going to develop an interest. When you improve you move up. Many buy a scroll saw for the novelty and don't need a "better" machine. But if you intend to use it hours at a time and for more than an occasional project, a more sophisticated machine may for you. There usually is a major reason for the difference in cost of one machine to another. I did mention the DeWalt scroll saw.

Jim Dannels
09-27-2005, 9:22 AM
Rob: It is obvious you are doing some fine work with the Dremel Saw.

I know from my own experience it will turn out good work.
I used mine pretty heavily and was disapointed after 3 yrs when the motor quit.
An electrician friend tore it down and the armature was toast.
My reason for wanting to move up to a higher end machine is that I have talked to many who are using Hawks, Hengers, and excaliburs for 10-15 yrs with no sugestion of failure.
I had no intension of bad mouthing the Dremel, it owes me nothing and it convinced me that I enjoyed scrolling enough to move to a higher end machine.
I may buy another entry level machine as well, because I do have a small conflict to avoid. My wife enjoys scrolling too, and to avoid arguement as to who get to play,I may need two scrollsaws in th shop.;)

Frank Pellow
09-27-2005, 9:25 AM
It's kind of like learning to play an instrument. You need to start out on a rental or an inexpensive one. You need to know if your going to develop an interest. When you improve you move up. Many buy a scroll saw for the novelty and don't need a "better" machine. But if you intend to use it hours at a time and for more than an occasional project, a more sophisticated machine may for you. There usually is a major reason for the difference in cost of one machine to another. I did mention the DeWalt scroll saw.
Good advice Phil.

But, if you are going to mention the DeWalt why stop there. Mention the Excalibur EX30. Excalibur makes the saws soild by Dewalt, but they make better saws that they sell themselves.

Phil Phelps
09-27-2005, 10:14 AM
...the reason I didn't mention them is because I don't know any better. I don't get out much, Frank. I didn't know about the RBI, Hawk, all those superior scroll saws, compared to the plunge cut, until I went for new saw blades years ago. And, I didn't buy one then was because there was no real assistance available. I think I got frustrated with the blade change and the fact I couldn't keep the inside of a letter "A" (2" MDF with laminate face ) perpendicular. There was a fair amout of deflection that just wouldn't pass my standard. But that was 18 years ago. I can know cut out things that were impossible on the Delta plunge cut. And, there are many good manufacturers out there today. Good machinery is parmount, but the results of great work usually is the guy with talent. You know it when you see it posted here, too.

Rob Bourgeois
09-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Rob:
I had no intension of bad mouthing the Dremel, it owes me nothing and it convinced me that I enjoyed scrolling enough to move to a higher end machine.

Jim didnt take it as a slam on the dremel...unless you posted on another forumn about it. I like you want to upgrade my scrollsaw but havnt yet. I wanted to first learn and see if I liked it but tehre are many other things in the shop to upgrade before the scrollsaw. and I will run the Dremel until it dies or I win the lottery.

The muscial instrument is a perfect example.

Corey Hallagan
09-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I agree Rob. I often see guys that clearly are giving scroll sawing a try and they ask about some decent low priced machines and the first thing you know guys are saying get a Dewalt, Hawk, Hegner etc. as there are no good machines under $500. That just isn't true. Usually if you read on they started out on a lesser model as well. I have used 2 different Delta models over the last 18 years. One was a 16inch 2 speed model that I liked very much that cost me about 200 new. Made a ton of stuff on it and sold on the craft fair circuit. I recently bought the Delta VS 16 inch for 200.00. I really like the saw, very low vibration. I know it isn't a Hegner or Excalibur or such but I don't need that kind of machine for my hobby and I do not do professional work or sit at the SS for hours on end.
I am intrigued in the Powermatic. Post pics of the saw if you get, I have never seen that machine before. Good luck!

Corey

Jim Dannels
09-27-2005, 12:56 PM
As I said in a previous post, I`ll probably buy an entry level machine in addition to the Hawk. I have my eye on a 16" Delta @ $99 I like the blade clamps on that machine.
Since i have noticed most of the smaller machines vibrate, I had been thinking of mounting it on a 2" thick box, filled with sand to absorb vibration on the stand. Simular to ballasting a lathe.
Has anyone tried this or do you see any negatives

Corey Hallagan
09-27-2005, 2:30 PM
Jim, Craftsman has a nice VS saw that normally goes for 179.00 or so that can be had or was for around 100.00 with CC club discounts. Not a bad saw at all from what i have read. I know that Tod Davidson here has that saw. Delta has always had good blade holders.

I don't have much vibration with my current saw and my previous Delta had a little bit. I used some cheap carpet pad stuff I put under my previous saw. Actually I think it was one of those cheap rubber sanding and router pads for your workbench. I also put some between the saw and the stand when I bolted it together, but you have to be carefull when doing this you don't torque the saw casting and make it flex. It really helped make the saw sit level on the concrete and remove any vibration associated with that. Made it very acceptable. If you get alot of vibration with the delta the sandbox certainly should help, definitely can't hurt.

A Hawk would certainly be a dream saw! Besure to post pics when you get the saw. I like seeing scroll saw posts , don't see much scroll saw work posted here at all!
Corey

Jimmy Tallent
09-27-2005, 3:13 PM
I have a hawk scroll saw,but i am trying to find sanding belts or what ever there called,they have a metal backing,Ive seen them in a catalog but cant find them now. Thanks Jimmy Tallent :confused:

Rob Bourgeois
09-27-2005, 4:02 PM
As I said in a previous post, I`ll probably buy an entry level machine in addition to the Hawk. I have my eye on a 16" Delta @ $99 I like the blade clamps on that machine.
Since i have noticed most of the smaller machines vibrate, I had been thinking of mounting it on a 2" thick box, filled with sand to absorb vibration on the stand. Simular to ballasting a lathe.
Has anyone tried this or do you see any negatives

I can tell you that it should work. I attached mine to a very heavy wooden bench and it has much less vibration that when it was attached to the little 18 inch square stand made out of 2x4s. I als added s rubber mat under it and that helped to. It cuts at a speed which is fast enough for my skill level and doesnt burn the wood. I am also not in a race to finish things either. :D