PDA

View Full Version : Summer shoes

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-27-2016, 8:51 PM
What kind of shoes do you use in your shop in summertime?
I am looking for something not heavy and hot.
I am in the sandals:eek: right now and I know it is not perfectly safe - but we become older and all of us likes comfortable light shoes:cool:.
Thank you,Ed.

Steve Eure
07-27-2016, 10:08 PM
You need some protection. Last year I dropped a sheet of 3/4 birch ply on my foot hitting my second toe. It broke the nail and endded up getting infected. Long story short, I lost my toe. It pays to be careful.

Jon Nuckles
07-27-2016, 10:38 PM
Steve's caution is probably good advice, but I admit to wearing Keen sandals or going barefoot in the shop in the summer.

Bruce Page
07-27-2016, 11:38 PM
For everyday shop work I wear slip on Skechers boat shoes. They don't offer much protection but are light and comfortable. When working with heavier materials I'll wear my aluminum toe Red Wing sneakers.

John K Jordan
07-27-2016, 11:58 PM
I wear soft Telic shoes. They are the best for me and eliminate foot pain. I don't drop things on my feet but if I did I'd probably wear steel-toed shoes. Any other type of shoe won't protect.

JKJ

Brent Cutshall
07-28-2016, 6:13 AM
I don't wear shoes in the shop because I just use hand tools, but then again I am working out two black toe nails right now.

Prashun Patel
07-28-2016, 7:47 AM
Crocs! They're not safety shoes.

However, they are closed toe, but vented. They are remarkably sturdy. The heel strap can be flipped over the upper so if you wish to wear them like a sandal you can. They are rubber, so they have good traction on the floor - even when it gets a *little* dusty. There are no fabric parts, so if you need to wash them, you can really put them back on almost immediately. They slip on/slip off easily, so if you have to frequently leave your shop and enter a 'clean' area like my basement, then there's no hassle or incentive just keep the dirty shoes on while you traipse across carpet...

The only downside is they are not very attractive.

Aaron Conway
07-28-2016, 8:57 AM
Crocs! They're not safety shoes.

If you get them in blaze orange does that make them safety shoes? :D

Jerome Stanek
07-28-2016, 9:15 AM
I wear my red wings they are comfortable and safety

Matt Day
07-28-2016, 9:27 AM
I wear Crocs too, the non ventilated variety to keep dust off my feet/socks.

Robert Engel
07-28-2016, 9:32 AM
Crocs, just don't drop your chisel (how do I know that?)

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-28-2016, 9:33 AM
Thanks, going to check Crocs now.
Ed.

Yonak Hawkins
07-28-2016, 10:50 AM
They make quite lightweight hard toed shoes nowadays. I have worn a pair of what's called Worx brand ever since I dropped a 2X6 ash board on my toe and broke it last year. I recommend protection. ..But otherwise, hey, that's why we have health insurance, right ?

Charles Wiggins
07-28-2016, 5:10 PM
I pretty much wear Reebok DMX Max Walking Shoes all the time, unless I am expecting to do something where my toes get crushed, then I wear Georgia Boot steel toes.

Rich Riddle
07-28-2016, 9:12 PM
I wear boots in the shop. They can be hot but are worth it. Today I wore steel toe Carolina boots and always do when working around the tractor or something very heavy. Tomorrow I will likely wear Ecco boots. They are super light and feel great on your feet. I own lots of Birkenstocks but never wear them in the shop.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-28-2016, 10:52 PM
I am barefoot most of the time. I wear sandals if I need to protect the bottoms of my feet. When I need to protect the whole foot, I wear boots. When handling slicks I always wear boots. I have seen them nearly cut off feet.

I just bought a pair of these: http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/uneek Love them.

Rich Riddle
07-28-2016, 11:38 PM
Malcolm,

What is a slick?

Brent Cutshall
07-29-2016, 7:33 AM
I am barefoot most of the time.
See that's me. My driveway is a gravel driveway with the quarter sized gravel, I can run up and down that thing. Ain't nothing really hurts my feet. People always tell me it ain't human, I am glad to see someone else who does the same as me. Look at that, I learned how to quote!

Joe Tilson
07-29-2016, 9:08 AM
Crocs are good. I also have a pair of Wolverine Carbon Max boots with Gortex which are stronger than steel toes and much lighter. Expensive though at around $150. No more than I wear them, they should last my lifetime. Other than being lighter, comfort is about the same as steel toes. I like to go barefoot, but for diabetes, not outside. Doc says no sandals either.:mad: Oh well, life goes on.

Jim Becker
07-29-2016, 9:54 AM
Almost all of my shoes at this point are Skechers "relaxed fit" shoes of various types. I recently bought a pair to wear primarily in the shop and for weekend "around the house" work. While leather uppers, they are light in weight, have memory foam footbed inserts and have non-slip soles. I wear a couple pair of even lighter-weight canvas upper Skechers during the week in warmer months (without socks so I alternate for, um...freshness) and love them. I generally buy via Amazon as the sizes are consistent and good deals can be had.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-29-2016, 1:06 PM
Malcolm,

What is a slick?

It is a giant chisel used in timber framing and boatbuilding. It typically has a socket handle about 18 to 24" long and cutting edges from 2" up. They are notorious for giving free toe amputations. The socket works loose and the head falls, or the chisel itself falls, and they tend to land sharp-side-down.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-29-2016, 1:11 PM
Almost all of my shoes at this point are Skechers "relaxed fit" shoes of various types. I recently bought a pair to wear primarily in the shop and for weekend "around the house" work. While leather uppers, they are light in weight, have memory foam footbed inserts and have non-slip soles. I wear a couple pair of even lighter-weight canvas upper Skechers during the week in warmer months (without socks so I alternate for, um...freshness) and love them. I generally buy via Amazon as the sizes are consistent and good deals can be had.

I hiked across Italy in a pair of Sketchers, and the following year I hiked across southern France in the same pair. They finally died by heat, which happens often down here to shoes- the soles melted off. I replaced them with a very expensive pair of Asolos when I hiked the Camino de Santiago, and they were the worst pair of boots I have ever worn. My feet were in terrible pain. The Asolos died the same death that the Sketchers did- the soles melted off. Something about the heat and humidity down here that dissolves shoe glue, and also black foam like the pads on random orbit sanders and the soft part of shoe soles turns to a crumbly mush.