PDA

View Full Version : European Hinges

John Leech
07-27-2016, 6:22 PM
Just about done sticking it Pottery Barn by building a desk for my daughter that they were asking $400 for. Pretty straightforward project but for the fact that I decided to use European hinges for the first time. Drilling of mortise and aligning hinge went extremely well, but I can't seem to get the hinges to 'lock in.' For the life of me I can't quite figure out how to accomplish that. The door swings open, albeit loosely, and then the top hinge will pivot off the bracket when it's fully open. I've attached a link of the hinges that I've used below. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

John Leech

http://www.richelieu.com/us/en/category/hinges-and-slides/hinges-and-accessories/concealed-hinges/blum-hinges/modul/modul-hinge-100/1007681?nf_1009206=%281195264%29

Bill Orbine
07-27-2016, 6:56 PM
As if the hinge isn't seated on the mounting plates properly? Show us a picture of what you've done. We'll need to know which type of overlay hinge you acquired.

Peter Kelly
07-27-2016, 7:28 PM
The adjustment screw needs to be in relatively the same position as shown in the attached. Difficult to install connect to the mounting plate otherwise.

peter gagliardi
07-27-2016, 9:05 PM
Slide the hinge from cabinet front back onto baseplate with the edge toward the door in contact, and the back or inner part of hinge slightly away. Push back until front of hinge slides under the hook in the baseplate, then push the back of the hinge down until it snaps on the baseplate.
A note: If one hinge snaps on, and the other doesn't on a door, it usually means the spacing from center to center of hinge is different than the center to center of the baseplates.

Wayne Lomman
07-28-2016, 8:23 AM
Make sure the hinge base plate is on the correct way around - some look similar to both ways. This one has the clamp screw to the inside of the cabinet. When connecting the hinge to the base plate, the adjusting screw needs to engage in its slot at the same time as the hinge slides under the clamping screw. Tighten the clamp screw at this point. And just to get things straight, the adjusting screw is for left/right movement, the elongated base plate holes allow for up/down adjustment, and the hinge clamp screw allows for in/out adjustment. They are a good style of hinge to use. Cheers

John Leech
07-28-2016, 9:17 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll take your advice and look at it over the weekend and then post update. As I've said many times, the jobs you think will take 5 minutes take five hours.

John Leech

Paul Girouard
07-30-2016, 10:41 PM
I'd concurred , you either have the hinge plate mounted backwards , or you have the adjustment screws either to jacked in , or backed all most out. They need to be sort of "in the middle" a neutral position.