PDA

View Full Version : What oil in your Oilers

Dave Lehnert
07-26-2016, 11:27 PM
For general shop use. What oil do you use in you Oil Can/ Oilers ?

Bruce Page
07-26-2016, 11:46 PM
I always have a can of 3-in-1 around for general use.

Jim Koepke
07-27-2016, 1:58 AM
I have a few. Mostly it is motor oil drained from the bottles used during an automotive oil change. I also have a variety of oils in dispensers with a long brass spout and a twist valve on the end.

Silicon oil is kept in one of these. It penetrates almost anything and loosens in the same manner. An oil called Break Free is kept in another. This is another penetrating oil. Another holds a light sewing machine type oil.

My various metallic cans hold the automotive oil.

Another thing that should have pictures taken.

jtk

Rod Sheridan
07-27-2016, 8:13 AM
Hi, mono grade SAE #30....................regards, Rod.

Izzy Camire
07-27-2016, 2:33 PM
Same as Rod 30 weight.

Tom Stenzel
07-27-2016, 2:42 PM
I had to sell my Saturn after only 18 years, ended up with a full quart of odd type of Dexron III it used. So in the oil can it goes. Otherwise it's been non-detergent 30 weight. I use it on bike chains, garage door rollers and hinges, whatever.

Dave, I have that same type of oil can. It was my grandfathers.

For the small fans (my Wife likes fans, I'm an enabler) around the house I bought a Zoom oiler. Very light weight oil, seems to work well with small motors and so far it hasn't gummed.

I also use an ancient glass syringe to get oil in difficult locations.

-Tom

Mac McQuinn
07-27-2016, 3:20 PM
A few years ago I switched over to a couple different brands of lightweight, non-toxic oils for all purpose lubrication duties. I used these for everything from motorcycle chain lubrication to a dry hinge. They are non-aerosol so there's no waste, next to no smell and last a long time.
Mac

Jim Koepke
07-27-2016, 4:55 PM
Here is a picture of most of my oil container/dispensers used in my shop:

There is one thing about the metal bottom bulb oilers some folks may not know. If there is a visible seam along the spout, it might be a place where oil seeps out when it is returned to the upright position.

For the little oilers with a plastic bulb, the ones with the brass top with threads inside the neck are better than the those of plastic with outside threads. The plastic caps tend to become fragile with age. Especially with oil on the threads it is easy to over tighten and
crack the top. DAMHIKT!

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
07-27-2016, 9:15 PM
Zoom Spout oiler from HVAC supply house. Costs about a buck on sale.