PDA

View Full Version : Summer Vacation.....Where are You Vacationing?

Rich Riddle
07-26-2016, 6:53 PM
We are headed up to Michigan for a few days and then going to the Pacific Northwest to escape the heat. Where are you folks going this year?

Gerry Grzadzinski
07-26-2016, 6:57 PM
Flew to Seattle last week, then a few hundred miles north east into British Columbia. Was 35°-40° cooler than here in Michigan.

Tony Zona
07-26-2016, 7:48 PM
We spent last week near Whitestone, Ontario. It's not far from Duck Rock. Northeast of Parry Sound.

Beautiful country. Friendly people.

I don't think the Canadian border guards know where that is. When I go to Loretto they think I'm going to Mexico. :)

Chris Padilla
07-26-2016, 8:04 PM
June 3 - 18: Bahamas
June 19 - 28: Florida: Key Largo, Key West, South Miami Beach, Jensen Beach

It was hot but then we had the beach so no biggie. Great vacation!

Bruce Wrenn
07-26-2016, 8:42 PM
IWF in Atlanta. World Congress Center is air conditioned.

Rich Riddle
07-26-2016, 9:24 PM
I thought people tried to escape Canada, not go there for vacation...... but summer vacations in Atlanta and Florida sound punishing.

Peter Kelly
07-26-2016, 10:14 PM
Here in NH at the lake this week. I'm in Brazil for August after this.

http://i.imgur.com/peFzC1A.jpg

Art Mann
07-26-2016, 10:16 PM
I just spent 3 weeks touring the UP of Michigan in our travel trailer. It is a lot different than the Detroit area!

Rich Riddle
07-26-2016, 10:25 PM
I just spent 3 weeks touring the UP of Michigan in our travel trailer. It is a lot different than the Detroit area!
Art,

We were in the UP two years ago and liked it quite a bit. Not many folks up there. Have you been to Isle Royal? It even gets chilly up there in August.

John K Jordan
07-26-2016, 11:02 PM
A few weeks in northern Italy with my Lovely Bride, then an inspirational week with some world-class woodturners. The beach is next, but post-summer.

JKJ

Rod Sheridan
07-27-2016, 8:16 AM
Hi Rich, just returned from the national BMW bike rally in Hamburg New York.
Above is a photo of our tent and bikes, Diann's bike is the orange one.

It was so close to Toronto that we were there in under 3 hours.

Normally we ride that long before breakfast when heading to the rally (it's in a different part of the USA every year).

Next year it's in Salt Lake City, might be too hot for me..................Rod.

Ole Anderson
07-27-2016, 8:29 AM
Heading north Friday to spend the weekend with friends in the Point Betsie lighthouse north of Frankfort MI, then a few miles further north to the Platte River Campground (Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore) to spend a week or two with our RV relaxing, boating and kayaking.

Joe Bradshaw
07-27-2016, 9:38 AM
I'm going to spend a week at John C Campbell in August. Then a week at Arrowmont in Oct.
Joe

Erik Loza
07-27-2016, 10:49 AM
A week in and around San Franciso, come September. Gotta' get out of the Texas heat once in a while.

Erik

Mark Blatter
07-27-2016, 11:24 AM
Going to spend a week in Montana to see kids and friends. Making a trip to see Gates of the Mountains (Lewis & Clark point) and spend a day on either the Madison or Gallatin Rivers. I always leave Montana wishing we had never moved away.

Malcolm McLeod
07-27-2016, 11:36 AM
A week in and around San Franciso, come September. Gotta' get out of the Texas heat once in a while.

Erik

Headed to Austin. Too cold in DFW!;)

Adam Herman
07-27-2016, 11:43 AM
headed to France in Oct. for about 2 weeks, staying with loml's uncle in the south.

going to Michigan to help my dad show his boat at the hessel antique wooden boat show in a few weeks. hoping for a best of show! 1960 21ft century cornado.

spending a weekend camping in the black canyon of the gunnison national park as well.

i guess most of this is fall vacations. staying around here in the summer, who would want to leave CO?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-27-2016, 12:30 PM
We spent 5 days in Yellowstone in May. Then 10 days in Visalia, CA IN June. In a hurried planned trip, we are making a quick 2 week loop from Idaho to MN, to central Illinois, southern Illinois,and Junction City, KS. We are currently in Douglas, WY headed for Gillette, WY. We'll spend tomorrow night in Missoula, MT and arrive home Friday afternoon, God willing.

Then we have 7 weeks to get into shape before we leave for 12 days in Ireland.

Rich, we should be home until September 22nd. Stop in if you are ever in the area. We've got an extra bed and plates!

Chris Padilla
07-27-2016, 1:21 PM
Next year it's in Salt Lake City, might be too hot for me..................Rod.

I-80 from SLC to the Nevada border is flat and straight and fun to push the hammer down on. :D

But, yeah, it gets very hot (albeit DRY) out there on the salt flats but it has its own beauty.

Chris Padilla
07-27-2016, 1:22 PM

ErikGimmie a shout when you're in town. Maybe we can hook up.

Art Mann
07-27-2016, 4:30 PM
We didn't go to Isle Royal but the hottest temperature we experienced in Copper Harbor was 74 and the nights were in the mid 40's. That is pretty cool in July for a Southerner. It felt great!

Art,

We were in the UP two years ago and liked it quite a bit. Not many folks up there. Have you been to Isle Royal? It even gets chilly up there in August.

Adam Herman
07-27-2016, 4:50 PM
isle royal is great. We are looking forward to Hessel (just east of the bridge) in a few weeks. Went to school in Houghton, Family from Calumet.

Paolo Trevisan
07-27-2016, 4:53 PM
1week in cancun with the family

Brian Elfert
07-27-2016, 9:36 PM
I have made two trips this summer to a Boy Scout camp to help with construction and repair work. Does that count as vacation? The first time was a week and the second time was two and a half days. At least the second time the dining hall was open so the food was free and we didn't have to cook it.

I also go to Reno, NV every September for four days to hang out in the desert and launch large rockets.

Bruce Koch
07-27-2016, 11:16 PM
I'm spending my summer and fall in the hospital with my wife who has AML leukemia. What a bummer. She was diagnosed June 6, 2016

Rick Potter
07-28-2016, 2:57 AM
Rod,

Just got back from a trip, and went through the SLC area to see Promentary Point (golden spike). It was over 100 degrees. It got as high as 113 near Las Vegas. That's when the A/C iced up. Luckily, we turned it off for about 15 minutes and it cleared itself up.

Rich Engelhardt
07-28-2016, 5:08 AM
I'm spending my summer and fall in the hospital with my wife who has AML leukemia. What a bummer. She was diagnosed June 6, 2016

Bruce beats mine.(prayers go out to you)

We're spending our vacation fund on a new water heater & garage door opener - two unexpected expenses.

Don Orr
07-29-2016, 9:53 AM
Sorry to hear that news Bruce-positive thoughts for both of you.

I took the week of July 4th off to do stuff around the house and wife and I spent 2 days hiking near New Paltz, NY-Minnewaska & Mohonk. I am into whitewater kayaking now so try to get out one of the weekend days each week. We're going to Maine for a week in September-AFTER Labor day (no crowds).