PDA

View Full Version : Drying 3x3x4 inch Red Oak Quickly

Jeff Polaski
07-26-2016, 7:40 AM
I need two 3x3x4 inch blocks to anchor a grab bar (1 1/4" red oak dowel) mounted on a vertical post in a Mission style staircase. It's getting a little hard to find nice quartersawn blocks that size (2" x 2" is easy). Since the length is easier than the 3x3 dimensions, I figure a 3x3x12 inch block will yield two of what I need with either a spare or a nice carving block.

I found 3x3x12, except they are fresh and green. Sealed at the ends for now, but I don't have a year for each inch to season it.

Would immersion in Pentacryl season the wood faster? Get out the water content. Maybe repeated immersions over a couple months?

Or, should I get off eBay and ask here for where to source that particular wood? (I'm wobbly on my feet now, and I have visions of grabbing for support on that section of stairway, and banging my head on either an oak step, oak mantelpiece, or oak floor, all of which are right there, very handy. On blood thinners, I could get a head bleed and that'll be all she wrote.)

Dennis Ford
07-26-2016, 6:23 PM
3" thick oak is going to be tough to find dry and will be way out of square after drying. You can accelerate the drying time somewhat by boiling the blank for a couple of hours (don't use a good pot). I would expect a 3" thick boiled blank to be dry enough in less than one year. Cut it oversize while wet if size is important.

david privett
07-26-2016, 7:55 PM
I have never done it but I have heard of trying a microwave to help get the moisture out, look on youtube I think there it is covered there, I know the boiling is.

John TenEyck
07-26-2016, 10:50 PM
I have some 3" pieces of 2 year old air dried red oak, about 12" square. They have been in my garage so I think they are down to no more than 10 - 12% MC. I'm happy to send you one, or cut whatever pieces from them you want, for the price of the shipping. Should fit in one of the USPS Flat Rate boxes. Send me a PM if interested.

John

Joe Kieve
07-28-2016, 7:56 AM
Jeff...in the "search" box on this forum, type in "drying wood in microwave". Numerous articles there to help you speed up the process.