PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought a chop saw, and built this...

Malcolm Schweizer
07-25-2016, 8:49 PM
As you may know, I'm a pretty hard-core Neanderthal. I have built an entire kitchen with hand tools except I did use a circular saw. I'm NOT against power tools- I just enjoy the challenge and the exercise that hand tools offer. Also, in the case of the kitchen, I was broke at the time and made do with what I had.

Well finally I decided to use the Father's Day GC to get a Dewalt 12" compound miter saw. I wanted the sliding saw, but they didn't have it in stock, and I also decided that the more compact non-sliding saw fit my small shop better, and offered plenty of capacity for what I will be doing.

I have had this vision for quite some time for a downstairs nook that used to be a coal fired kitchen with a big brick chimney and hood. It had become a catch-all for my guitars and music gear and lots of other stuff that didn't have a home. I decided to turn it into a built-in seating area/single bed with storage below. I installed LED dimmable strip lighting concealed by a curtained ceiling that covers where I capped off the chimney. (Note- the hearth had long since been removed and only the chimney and hood remained.)

She came out quite nice. I still need to repaint the hood part. I found a sheet to almost perfectly match the walls. The storage below allows me to stack two guitar cases- one atop the other. I have six guitar cases, an amp, loads of gear, a huge Pelican camera case, and even the new chop saw stored below with room to spare.

Oh, by the way- since the walls are stone covered with stucco, and the back wall curves towards the back to (originally) draw smoke up the chimney, this took some creative work. Nothing was square. There is an air gap on the back wall so that it can breathe. (180 year old home- no vapor barriers in these walls and they need to breathe out moisture.) I used treated firring strips to offset the 3/4" ply from the wall. They are driven in with stainless tapcons. A trim piece mostly covers the 2" spacing but has a 1/4" air gap at the back of it.

The chop saw worked well, but took some getting used to as far as figuring out where the cut would fall. I ended up buying a nail gun after completing this, in order to do some crown moulding in another room. I wish I had that when I was doing this trim. I made a mistake on that bottom panel, which opens to get to the storage. I will fix that. It has a bit of a gap.

Frederick Skelly
07-25-2016, 8:59 PM
Looks good Malcolm! I too have a tailed miter/chopsaw and wouldn't give it up for certain jobs. So I certainly understand where you're coming from.

Fred

Bruce Page
07-25-2016, 9:11 PM
Next thing ya know you'll become a Festool junkie. :eek::)

Re-mod looks really nice!

Malcolm Schweizer
07-25-2016, 9:15 PM
Next thing ya know you'll become a Festool junkie. :eek::)

Re-mod looks really nice!

Funny you should mention it- I finally got to hold a Festool TS75 and feel it is worth the price. I will get one soon, even though it costs more than some table saws; the function and space saving of the track saw fits my needs, and the TS75 has 3/4" more depth of cut than most others. Their chop saw, however, is waaaaaay out of my range.

mark mcfarlane
07-26-2016, 3:55 AM
Great job Malcolm. I love the hood-come-canopy and the lighting treatment that you gave it. A very cozy space, perfect for a little guitar playing followed by a nap. My kind of space :)

Reinis Kanders
07-26-2016, 3:55 AM
Love the joist hangers:)
Great looking nook though.

I am also Neanderthal with fancy sliding chopsaw, but it was taking up so much space that it is now stashed away. It is amazing how much space they need, latest glide versions are more compact, but still. Anyways I find that handsaw is usually good enough for most carpentry and not much slower since it is immediately available.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Great job Malcolm. I love the hood-come-canopy and the lighting treatment that you gave it. A very cozy space, perfect for a little guitar playing followed by a nap. My kind of space :)

Yes, thanks, I decided since I wasn't going Neanderthal on this project to also try the joist hangers. I had very little time, as this and the remodel of my daughter's room had to be done while they were visiting family in the states, and I unexpectedly had to travel for two of the three weeks they were gone! My "old self" would have probably morticed them in place, but the joist hangers worked very well, and quickly did the job. I very much overbuilt the whole thing, framing it in mostly treated lumber (where it contacts the wall due to moisture wicking through the walls) and then skinning it in 3/4" plywood. It doesn't budge.

I also used some galvanized angles to reinforce some corners. I am a firm believer in over-engineering.

Reinis Kanders
07-26-2016, 6:41 PM
I also used some galvanized angles to reinforce some corners. I am a firm believer in over-engineering.

SMart to use galvanized nails. I think here PT lumber ruins plain nails since they changed the formula to remove arsenic from it.

Jim Dwight
07-26-2016, 7:33 PM
Looks great - very practical.

My chop saw is a Hitachi non-slider dual bevel and I like it a lot. Above 8 inch up to 12 inch goes to the radial arm saw and above that, I use my DeWalt track saw. I like it a lot but would not want to have to do small cuts on it. I also have a small Ryobi BT3100 table saw that does the smaller pieces great. With a track saw, I don't think you need a full sized table saw but a small one is pretty nice to have. If you avoid the green kool aid you can have a nice track saw and a small table saw for about the price of the green track saw. My DeWalt will cut 2 inches deep which is usually enough. Thicker pieces are normally something I want to use the table saw on anyway.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-26-2016, 9:21 PM
Looks great - very practical.

My chop saw is a Hitachi non-slider dual bevel and I like it a lot. Above 8 inch up to 12 inch goes to the radial arm saw and above that, I use my DeWalt track saw. I like it a lot but would not want to have to do small cuts on it. I also have a small Ryobi BT3100 table saw that does the smaller pieces great. With a track saw, I don't think you need a full sized table saw but a small one is pretty nice to have. If you avoid the green kool aid you can have a nice track saw and a small table saw for about the price of the green track saw. My DeWalt will cut 2 inches deep which is usually enough. Thicker pieces are normally something I want to use the table saw on anyway.

I already have the Ridgid contractor's saw, but even if I had a Unisaw I believe I would get a track saw for panels and for what I do the most- ripping huge mahogany planks into dimensional lumber. I need something with at least 2 1/4" rip capacity, so most of the more affordable saws are out.