PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane CBN Smell?

Steve Mathews
07-25-2016, 8:39 PM
I recently purchased 80 and 180 grit CBN grinding wheels from The Woodturning Store. While the 180 grit wheel is practically odorless the 80 grit gives off a noxious smell. Anybody know why?

Roger Chandler
07-25-2016, 8:47 PM
I recently purchased 80 and 180 grit CBN grinding wheels from The Woodturning Store. While the 180 grit wheel is practically odorless the 80 grit gives off a noxious smell. Anybody know why?
I have the same CBN Wheels from the same vendor........mine do not put off an odor. No idea, but I would suggest you contact Steve Fulgoni.....it might be the particular steel that you are grinding????? Perhaps not, but a call to Steve might yield some information or alleviate concerns. If the wheel shows abnormal wear or something like that, then perhaps it is the matrix, but I doubt that is the case.

Steve Mathews
07-25-2016, 9:50 PM
I have the same CBN Wheels from the same vendor........mine do not put off an odor. No idea, but I would suggest you contact Steve Fulgoni.....it might be the particular steel that you are grinding????? Perhaps not, but a call to Steve might yield some information or alleviate concerns. If the wheel shows abnormal wear or something like that, then perhaps it is the matrix, but I doubt that is the case.
The smell comes from the wheel while just sitting. I haven't even used it yet. I have an email to Steve now.

Len Mullin
07-26-2016, 8:14 PM
Why don't you just return it, and get another one in its place?
Len

Steve Mathews
07-26-2016, 9:43 PM
Why don't you just return it, and get another one in its place?
Len
Not necessary. The Woodturning Store emailed back today and said that it's most likely a cleaner they use on some of the wheels. I'll just wait a while and see if the smell goes away.