PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Security

Jim Koepke
07-25-2016, 1:11 PM
I was reading a bit about cyber security and ran across this:

https://www2.fireeye.com/rs/848-DID-242/images/rpt-apt29-hammertoss.pdf

It goes beyond my depth of knowledge about cyber security and how Twitter may be one link in the chain forged by Russion hackers to infiltrate computers all around the world.

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone else. If it isn't it will suffer the usual trip down the page and into obscurity.

jtk

Bert Kemp
07-25-2016, 2:32 PM
Stay safe
Get off Facebook, Twitter, don't open unknown emails don't clic links and run a good anti virus program and keep fingers crossed.:)

paul cottingham
07-25-2016, 2:51 PM
A good read. Thanks.

Brent Cutshall
07-25-2016, 9:08 PM
Russians, gotta love 'em. They'll always be the weird guy that you fought hard with way back when but now is your "friend" that you'll never trust. You know, they had the "button" back in the 80s, where is it now, and how many!:eek: Everybody run for your life!

Curt Harms
07-26-2016, 7:07 AM
Stay safe
Get off Facebook, Twitter, don't open unknown emails don't clic links and run a good anti virus program and keep fingers crossed.:)

Keeping Windows off the internet doesn't hurt, either.

Alan Rutherford
07-26-2016, 9:39 AM
You don't have to worry about that one. The report is a year old. What's out there today, whatever it is, is worse.

Here's a more readable explanation: http://www.cnet.com/news/hammertoss-extra-sneaky-malware-acts-just-like-you/. Hammertoss uses Twitter and Github just to pass messages, not to directly compromise your computer. Kinda like the Underground in WWI receiving coded instructions from "personals" in radio broadcasts. Very clever.

The Internet is a dangerous place but just like the Interstate, we can't live without it. (OK, I know some people get along just fine without either of those but if most of us didn't need them, they wouldn't be there.) You have to assume that sooner or later you'll be in an accident and protect and insure yourself as best you can. I can't tell you how to do that but I'm writing this on a PC running Linux. There's still some risk but I believe it's about 100 times less.

Bill Jobe
07-27-2016, 6:06 AM
Get off facebook? How. I requested that my account be closed over 2 months ago and I'm still getting messages from them
I'm beginning to suspect that facebook has been taken over by the government and that soon membership will be mandatory.

Chuck Wintle
07-27-2016, 7:48 AM
Stay safe

This is the way to go.