PDA

View Full Version : Router table top - melamine?

Aaron Conway
07-25-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm building a router table and in doing research I've seen some people use MDF and other laminate melamine/formica onto the MDF for the top. Anybody have experience with either and what's your preference?

Thanks.

Doug Hepler
07-25-2016, 10:59 AM
Aaron,

I used 3/4" melamine coated MDF from HD and it worked well. The disadvantage of using MDF or ply is that it is not hard enough to make a durable "miter" slot. You can insert a strip of oak or other hard wood in the MDF and then rout out the miter slot in that, or buy an aluminum miter slot (I chose the latter). Also, although MDF is flat you should do something to reinforce it so that it stays flat in use, humidity changes, etc.

Doug

Robert Engel
07-25-2016, 11:23 AM
You can use it. Melamine is not a wearable surface but I think it would still work.
Double it up for added thickness.

I prefer laminate. I made mine of 2 layers of 3/4 baltic birch w/ laminate on both sides w/ edges trimmed with hardwood.

I use an aluminum miter/ t track.

glenn bradley
07-25-2016, 11:24 AM
1-1/8" well supported MDF/melamine going on 9 years, no issues.

Aaron Conway
07-25-2016, 11:28 AM
I should have said this in my original post...I'm planning on using a double layer of 3/4" MDF edged in solid wood with an aluminum miter track. The top will be about 2'x4' so I'll be putting support below...even thinking of adding 2-3 steel L supports.

Thanks.

Greg Hines, MD
07-25-2016, 1:22 PM
My router table top is 3/4" melamine, with strips of 1/2" plywood laminated/screwed to the underside where my miter slot and t-tracks run, and I have not had any problems with it.

Doc

Wayne Jolly
07-25-2016, 1:29 PM
That is about the size of the table I built. I used two layers of 3/4" MDF, some laminate for the top, with maple edging and it has been working just fine. The MDF is supported at four points with 3/4" plywood used for the cabinet. Since the cabinet also has a 3/4" plywood top on it, that makes the total thickness of the router table top 2 1/4". Personally, depending on the design, I don't think the steel angle iron would add much additional support. It's about 2 years old and I have used it for all sorts of things besides routing. I have not found it necessary to add any kind of t-track or miter track. The fence extends beyond the sides a little and then clamps down to the outside edge of the table. I can remove the fence and have a flat surface, except for the router plate, to use as a secondary assembly table, or whatever. Mostly, it gets used as a flat surface to lose tools, parts, and whatever else on.

From my experience, laminate is thicker and tougher than melamine, but it is also dependent upon the melamine. I've come across two basic types. One is a little softer and has a slight texture to the surface. It's more like a layer of vinyl glued onto the surface. I wouldn't think this type of melamine would be very durable. Then there is the type that is smooth and hard more like you see in dry erase boards. This might perform well.

Wayne

David Pascoe
07-26-2016, 12:51 PM
I made my router table of melamine 7 years ago, double thickness w/3/4 MDF supported by plywood cabinet. Still perfectly flat. I used aluminum channel designed to fit the 3/4" bar stock of miter gauges. Route the groove, then epoxy the channel in place. It is too thin for screws. Must have the double thickness to do this, otherwise your top is gonna break in half.

Patrick Harper
07-26-2016, 12:58 PM
I used two layers of mdf and then applied white laminate with contact cement. It's been working very well for me so far. There's some good videos on how to roll out the laminate on youtube.

I wrote a blog post about the build: the perfect router table. (http://bloodsweatsawdust.com/2016/05/27/building-perfect-router-table/)

David L Morse
07-26-2016, 1:00 PM
I made my router table of melamine 7 years ago, double thickness w/3/4 MDF supported by plywood cabinet. Still perfectly flat. I used aluminum channel designed to fit the 3/4" bar stock of miter gauges. Route the groove, then epoxy the channel in place. It is too thin for screws. Must have the double thickness to do this, otherwise your top is gonna break in half.

Do you mean 3/4" Melamine on top of 3/4" MDF? If so, what kind of adhesive did you use?

Robin Frierson
07-26-2016, 3:50 PM
I've had problems with Router tables sagging overtime with a heavy PC router in it. My first one was double MDF. I ended up having to support it with angle iron. I was later talked into ordering a phenolic top which also sagged. The salesman told me that I wasn't supposed to keep the router in it. Take it out every time I was done using it. That's crazy. I now have a cast-iron router table and so far it's stayed flat.

John Lankers
07-26-2016, 3:58 PM
2 layers of 3/4" MDF glued together, covered with Formica as wear surface and exposed edges and bottom sealed (almost soaked) with Polyurethane to prevent warping. The top is 7 or 8 years old and still dead flat (it is mounted on top of a router cabinet). T track makes mounting featherboards and the like easier than a miter slot does. You may want to consider under table dust extraction as well.

John Lankers
07-26-2016, 4:02 PM
I've had problems with Router tables sagging overtime with a heavy PC router in it. My first one was double MDF. I ended up having to support it with angle iron. I was later talked into ordering a phenolic top which also sagged. The salesman told me that I wasn't supposed to keep the router in it. Take it out every time I was done using it. That's crazy. I now have a cast-iron router table and so far it's stayed flat.

I had the same experience with Phenolic and eventually upgraded to Aluminum, problem solved.

Robert Engel
07-26-2016, 5:16 PM
I should have said this in my original post...I'm planning on using a double layer of 3/4" MDF edged in solid wood with an aluminum miter track. The top will be about 2'x4' so I'll be putting support below...even thinking of adding 2-3 steel L supports.

Thanks.It will work find. I would laminate both sides using the thicker horizontal laminate. It will be rock solid and eliminate the need for additional supports.

I think 2x4 is a rather large table for a router.

I have an assembly table of MDF. If coated well with BLO its ok and would probably work, but I would use laminate anyway.

Jim Dwight
07-26-2016, 7:26 PM
I have a router table capability in my table saw's extension table which is melamine particle board. It has some vertical ribs to help it stay flat. I don't use it a lot since building my dedicated table.

My dedicated router table has a top of a sink cutout backed by a piece of 3/4 plywood and edged with maple. The router motor is supported by the back of the router table - it is on a homemade lift that slides on 2, 1 inch machined steel bars. The top has stayed flat, it should with no stress.

If you can find somebody installing formica counter tops the sink cutouts are great if you consider them big enough. It would be a little under 3 feet by a little under 2 feet. The laminate is very securely glued to the particle board and it is high density particle board - better than what's under the melamine I have used.

Aaron Conway
07-27-2016, 7:14 AM
Thanks for all the great responses. I've made the base and cut all the carcass pieces to size. Next up is cutting all the dados and rabbets.

Robert, yes 2'x4' is rather large compared to most router tables. I plan on using it as an assembly table (drop a piece of mdf on top for protection) as well as a support extension for a miter saw station that I'll build someday.

Cheers.

Joe Spear
07-27-2016, 9:45 AM
I made my router table by laminating several layers of plywood together, quarter-inch and three-quarter-inch, just stuff I had lying around. I used contact cement, and it has lasted ten years. I topped it with a sheet of formica, also attached with contact cement. The whole thing is only about an inch and a half thick and 30 inches x 27 inches. Sagging problems were easily avoided by running several braces made of 2-inch-wide strips of plywood glued to the underside of the top and dadoed to the frame of the table. I think I used two braces, but I haven't looked under there in a long time.

Robert Engel
07-27-2016, 10:43 AM
Robert, yes 2'x4' is rather large compared to most router tables. I plan on using it as an assembly table (drop a piece of mdf on top for protection) as well as a support extension for a miter saw station that I'll build someday.

Cheers.Good idea!

ken masoumi
07-27-2016, 11:01 AM

Thanks.
If you don't mind me asking, what router insert are you going to use with that table? Aluminum,thick phenolic ? I'm planning on building a router table myself and thinking of using a Kreg insert but could use another popular brand.

Aaron Conway
07-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Hi Ken, I went with the Incra router lift. I kept going back and forth between Incra, Jessem and Woodpeckers and really couldn't find anything negative on any of them.

Once I get a little further along, or almost done, I'll post some pics of the project.

ken masoumi
07-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Incra lift gets very positive reviews,great choice.
Thanks Aaron.

Randall J Cox
07-28-2016, 9:58 AM
I made mine of 3/4" old leftover (from a counter top) formica mdf. Its in my TS extension table. Routed in an insert of phoenlic base and use a large 3.x hp Porter Cable router. No doubled up mdf, nor extra supports other than the TS extension rails. Been using it that way about 20 years, still dead flat. I think formica was more durable back then (maybe just thicker). Anyway, totally happy. Randy

Jim Becker
07-28-2016, 5:53 PM
In the past, before I acquired my cast iron router station top, I typically used a double layer of 3/4" MDF and then plastic laminate for the work surface. The melamine coated particle board is certainly an option.

Mike Heidrick
07-28-2016, 6:22 PM
Id use laminate over two layers MDF with a 1" hardwood edge.

Jim Andrew
07-28-2016, 7:50 PM
I used oak for my last router table top. Some lumber that had spent enough time in the shop so it would not warp, and made the top double thickness, about 1 1/2". Made plastic plates from 1/2" material, so can change routers without changing the base. Finished the top so every surface is finished, and it has stayed flat. Finish might be worn, but is easily coated again.

Robert Parent
07-29-2016, 7:21 AM
I used a baltic birch top laminated with formica. It has had heavy use for about 12 years and still looks nice.

Robert