PDA

View Full Version : Set of dinner plates

Pat Scott
07-25-2016, 10:42 AM
Just finished an order for a customer who wanted a set of 8 dinner plates. These are made from Siberian Elm and are 10-3/8" diameter. The shape and design is inspired by Glenn Lucas's Irish Dinner Plate, which we made in his class at Craft Supplies that I took in April. We've been eating off wood plates since 2011, but I like the design of the Irish Plate so borrowed some ideas from it for this set.

All measurements are within 1/8" of each other (diameter, height, base size, rim width, bead size, thickness). I'm very pleased with how well they stack on top of each other, there is a consistent gap between plates, and an even (level) stack.

I finished them with Doctors Woodshop Walnut Oil/Carnauba Wax, and then a light coat of Walnut Oil Paste Wax just because. Wax is not a finish and it will wash off the first time the plates are washed, but it makes them feel good out of the box so what the hey.

This was my first time using any Doctors Woodshop products, and so far so good. The oil is applied on the lathe and then buffed in using heat generated by the spinning plate and pressure from the cloth. The heat helps dry the oil/wax, and I gotta say it does seem to work. I let the plates sit for a day or two afterwards and I can pick them up now and not get oil on my fingers.

I sent pictures of the finished plates to the customer to make sure this is what she had in mind. She wrote back saying she loves them, and now wants a 3-bowl set of Salad bowls. I haven't even shipped the plates yet, and she's ordering more.

341379 341380 341381 341382

Mel Fulks
07-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Nice,I love that bead and flat rim. I would suggest 4 (or some higher EVEN number) on that salad bowl order; more conventionally useful and the suggestion will only increase their confidence in you even if they stay with 3.

David Delo
07-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Excellently done Pat. What time is dinner?????

Pat Scott
07-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Nice,I love that bead and flat rim. I would suggest 4 (or some higher EVEN number) on that salad bowl order; more conventionally useful and the suggestion will only increase their confidence in you even if they stay with 3.

Thanks Mel. I meant to say she wants a nested set of 3-bowls (11", 9", 7"), not a set of individual bowls. For individual bowls you're right, 3 is an oddball number. I sell individual bowls starting at a 4 bowl set, then 6 or 8.

daryl moses
07-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Very, very nice! Exceptional work.

Brian Kent
07-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Maybe that is 3 salad serving bowls?
Love the plates.

Roger Chandler
07-25-2016, 1:40 PM
Top shelf Pat.....nice work! Congrats on the commission!

George Conklin
07-25-2016, 1:59 PM
Top shelf Pat.....nice work! Congrats on the commission!

Ditto, ditto and ditto!

Leo Van Der Loo
07-25-2016, 4:09 PM
Very nice work Pat, and I do love Siberian Elm, a very nice looking wood :)

Thomas Heck
07-25-2016, 4:24 PM
Great work! Almost looks like copies of each other. M

William C Rogers
07-25-2016, 4:52 PM
Pat, those are fantastic. Beautiful craftsmanship.

Curtis Myers
07-25-2016, 8:37 PM
I like the Siberian Elm. Pretty wood. Nice execution of the platters. You can call me most anything. Please do not call me late for dinner.

Pat Scott
07-26-2016, 9:58 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments.

The customer sent me a link to some bowls that she owns now, and this is what she wants me to make out of wood. Certainly not a classic bowl shape or the kind of bowl that I normally make, but it's her money so I'll see what I can do.
341460 341461

Brian Kent
07-26-2016, 10:05 AM
I wonder if she would accept a slight rounding on the inside corners of those bowls. I would want to see an inside corner surface that would be easy to dry and not hold a bead of water.

Dok Yager
07-26-2016, 10:14 AM
Nicely done Pat! Those would make anyone smile. Nice work.

Pat Scott
07-26-2016, 10:22 AM
I wonder if she would accept a slight rounding on the inside corners of those bowls. I would want to see an inside corner surface that would be easy to dry and not hold a bead of water.

She wouldn't have a choice because that's how I'd make them! Sharp inside corners like that are a bugger to sand, it would have to be rounded some.

ronald ainge
07-27-2016, 7:56 PM
Very good looking work Pat. I have know you for several years now and as always I love to see your progression though the turning world. I thought you did one of the best demos at our local club meeting this month. I am also sorry that had to push you to finish because of out time constraints. I know that caused the problem that you had. That was still a great demo!!!!

Ron Ainge
President
Front Range Woodturners.

Pat Scott
07-28-2016, 12:27 AM
Very good looking work Pat. I have know you for several years now and as always I love to see your progression though the turning world. I thought you did one of the best demos at our local club meeting this month. I am also sorry that had to push you to finish because of out time constraints. I know that caused the problem that you had. That was still a great demo!!!!

Ron Ainge
President
Front Range Woodturners.

Thanks Ron, I appreciate the comments! I had an absolute blast giving my very first demo. I would jump at the opportunity to give another demo in a heartbeat. I learned a lot, and next time I'm definitely going to appoint a time keeper!