PDA

View Full Version : Summer Heat

Rich Riddle
07-25-2016, 7:14 AM
It seems people have been complaining a lot lately about the summer heat. I hasn't been hotter here than a few weeks ago but now we are under warnings and advisories. Not sure what inspires them when the temperature didn't really change.

Rick Moyer
07-25-2016, 9:09 AM
Possibly their AC went out like mine did yesterday!

Bruce Wrenn
07-25-2016, 9:17 AM
It's not the heat, but the humidity. Friday was mid nineties, with dew points in upper seventies. Sat, same temp, but a little lower dew points. Yesterday, upper nineties, but dew point was in the sixties. Yesterday shop was 76, but humid. After running AC for about three hours, temp had only dropped to 75, but it had dried out the air. This morning humidity in shop will be back up as wood in shop gives up moisture to air.

Rich Riddle
07-25-2016, 12:52 PM
I do know the higher the dew point, the more uncomfortable it feels. Apparently there is little relief in sight any time soon. It's a hot summer boys.

Bert Kemp
07-25-2016, 2:28 PM
Hi Rich please come for a visit:D341398

Jim Koepke
07-25-2016, 2:54 PM
This is strange. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have been having a cooler than normal summer.

This is one of the reasons my wife and I moved up here, to get away from hot summers in the San Francisco area.

We did buy an AC unit this year. To my wife in the 70s seems like a warm day.

Last year we did have a warm summer.

jtk

Jerome Stanek
07-25-2016, 4:13 PM
Hi Rich please come for a visit:D341398

But if is a dry heat

Rich Riddle
07-25-2016, 4:36 PM
My wife doesn't buy into this wet, dry and "feels like" heat. To her it's the actual temp only. I have been in Colorado where they have "dry" heat and ti seemed much less miserable.

Robert Engel
07-25-2016, 4:56 PM
They say the El Niņo is over maybe the jet stream is doing it.

And yes, it IS the humidity. This is because you sweat but it evaporates quickly, hence more effective cooling.

When I visit my son in Denver and it 95 & 10% humidity thats way, way different where I am in swampy, sweaty FL, where you can die of heat stroke at 88 degrees & 80% humidity.

Dennis Peacock
07-25-2016, 5:00 PM
Just Saturday, measured via my weather station at my house, actual temp outside was 103 with a measured heat index of 123. So...it was a day to work inside for sure. And...yes....I'm ready for fall and winter. :D :D

David T gray
07-25-2016, 5:09 PM
you don't sweat efficiently past like 75% humidity so u just overheat and die :)

Erik Loza
07-25-2016, 7:03 PM
...When I visit my son in Denver and it 95 & 10% humidity thats way, way different where I am in swampy, sweaty FL, where you can die of heat stroke at 88 degrees & 80% humidity.

There have been a few times here in Austin where, if I did not stop what I was doing, I would have been on the road to heat stroke. A few months back, I was clearing some brush in our back-40. Wearing a long sleeve "wicking" shirt and long pants, to protect me from the shrubbery. It was not all that hot out: Mid 80's maybe, but very high humidity and no breeze or air movement. I'm a heavy sweat-er, anyhow, and my short and pants were soaked. Not physically working all that hard but my heart rate went up and I could not get it down. Had nothing to do with hydration, was all about "lack of evaporative cooling". Had to come inside and sit under a fan.

Erik

Brad Adams
07-25-2016, 7:33 PM
Arizona heat is hot, but you can get relief in the shade. It was 95 and 82% humidity here in Iowa last week. I'll take the Arizona heat any day over that. You instantly sweat a lot.

Bert Kemp
07-25-2016, 10:20 PM
you think its dry heat try 115 at 45% humidity. Or just try 115 outside any humidity. you can't breath its so hot, you can't touch anything it will burn you. I put a heat gun on my car 137 the tires were 170. the news channels out here each summer they cook food in a car on the dash , Dry heat my --------:D:eek:

Jerome Stanek
07-26-2016, 6:51 AM
I lived in Vagas and the heat was no where as bad as in Ohio with the humidity

Larry Frank
07-26-2016, 7:07 AM
All I know is my air conditioning is working lots. It has been a hot summer in the upper Midwest. Glad my shop has AC.

Rod Sheridan
07-26-2016, 8:12 AM
Sheesh, 34 is as high as it gets here (93F), that 114F is about 44C.................That's hot, although the humidity is low.

Where I am the temp might be 32, however the humidex can be 40............Rod.

Brian Tymchak
07-26-2016, 8:20 AM
All I know is my air conditioning is working lots. It has been a hot summer in the upper Midwest. Glad my shop has AC.

I have a basement shop and it is actually more uncomfortable in the summer with the AC on than in the winter with the heat on. All the cold air in the house drains to the basement since we leave the basement door open.

Dok Yager
07-26-2016, 6:30 PM
:rolleyes: And you guy`s complain about Heat. Pfft it was just 124 here a couple of weeks ago and has stayed in the 110+ and 118+ range for the last two weeks. But it`s Aridzona so we expect it. I understand about 110+ and 70-80% relative humidity as well been there too. They do worry when the ",Midwest, Central and northern states get to 100+. Most folks don`t know how to handle it and older folks are Highly susceptible. By the way they measured the heat on the sidewalk at 152 and the asphalt as 177 on the 124 day. Now that Friggin HOT!!

Rich Riddle
07-26-2016, 6:51 PM
After starting this thread, an unnamed female remarked......."isn't there a song about as long as old men sit and talk about the weather and old women sit and talk about old men." We aren't old, are we?

Bert Kemp
07-26-2016, 7:55 PM
Today temp 4:51pm341509
My door knob341510
My deck that needs painting each fall want to walk barefoot on it341511
The light color sand is my yard341512

Chris Padilla
07-26-2016, 8:19 PM
It is most definitely the humidity that makes high heat unbearable.

I'm from Colorado. My mother is from Pennsylvania. My dad is from New Mexico.

Anything east of Kansas City is humidity death zone. :)

I lived in Chicago for 2.5 years between high school and college. I was young and single and it was fun but 20 years later and I don't know how people don't fall like dominoes there!

Even moving to Northern California 17 years ago, I could still feel the humidity increase the first couple of years but the 25-40% they have here is no big deal and I quickly got used to it. Now I find Colorado quite dry when I visit but it is usually in the winter and I spend two weeks skiing the slopes with my brother on that major powder!! :D

Peter Kelly
07-26-2016, 10:07 PM
This is strange. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have been having a cooler than normal summer.

This is one of the reasons my wife and I moved up here, to get away from hot summers in the San Francisco area.

We did buy an AC unit this year. To my wife in the 70s seems like a warm day.

Last year we did have a warm summer.

jtkHave you checked the temps in SF this summer? It hasn't made it to 70 in some time.

https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USCA0987:1:US

Chris Padilla
07-27-2016, 12:04 AM
Peter,

Have you ever heard the saying: "The coldest winter I spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco." SF is very foggy in the summer and therefore quite cool. Winter there is actually the best time to go/visit.

However, the rest of the Bay Area...especially the East and South Bay, can get quite toasty.

Rich Riddle
07-27-2016, 7:48 AM
Bert,

Not many of us will volunteer to visit you this summer. Stay cool in the heat.

Brian Tymchak
07-27-2016, 8:04 AM
We aren't old, are we?

Depends on the day. Some days I'm 35, other days I'm 85...

Wayne Lomman
07-27-2016, 5:31 PM
Heat is relative to where you are and what you are used to. When I moved to Tasmania from northern New (with 50 celsius and 80 percent humidity in the shade) the locals said to watch out in summer as it is a different kind of heat. I thought ok, yes, it's the kind of heat you have when it is cold, you idiots. It rarely gets above 28 celsius. I was wrong. Here the air is so clear that the sun is like a stilleto rather than a sledgehammer. The air is cool ad so you burn without noticing until it is too late. Having lived and worked in everything from tropical wet seasons to the Snowy Mountains in summer, I was surprised. In fact, the hottest temperature I have measured in a workplace is at Waddamana in the Tasmanian highlands. We were redecking a wooden bridge in the world heritage area and had to wrap the scaffold in plastic for environmental protection. I recorded 65celsius. The guys could only work 5 minute rotations while we finished the containment enough so that the ventilation could be turned on. As soon as we had airflow it was ok. Cheers

Jim Koepke
07-27-2016, 6:54 PM
Have you checked the temps in SF this summer? It hasn't made it to 70 in some time.

Check the difference between San Francisco and Concord, CA. Both are considered Bay Area Cities. The driving distance between the two is 30 miles.

SF:

Concord:

Quite a difference a few miles, a bay and a bunch of hills can make.

jtk

Joe Mioux
07-27-2016, 9:09 PM
I work in greenhouses and working out there is hot and humid. My body gets to the point where I can not stand going into an air conditioned room.