PDA

View Full Version : Beech Engraves nice

Bert Kemp
07-24-2016, 3:54 PM
had scrap piece of beech, thought I'd see how it engraves. I Like it:)341315

Brian Lamb
07-24-2016, 9:45 PM
Hi Bert,

I have played with some beech too, it seems to engrave nicely and give a fairly dark mark. Pretty sure it's the "wood of the month" at Woodworker's Source, they have it discounted a bit....

p.s. this is a piece of leftover counter top from Ikea.... cut it down and mitered two pieces together for a friend and so I made this out of the left overs.

Bert Kemp
07-24-2016, 11:07 PM
Brian I was there Saturday and yes its on sale till Aug 31 st I'm going to grab some.

David Somers
07-25-2016, 12:16 AM
Do you guys have any cabinet or furniture shops nearby? They may have scraps left over from jobs that are too small for them to reuse, but might be perfect for what you are doing. My buddy and I used to dumpster dive in cabinet shop dumpsters in HI (with their permission of course) and found some fun stuff. The shops were happy to have it used since they had to pay by the pound to dispose of it.

Bert Kemp
07-25-2016, 12:32 AM
David!! Its a 114 degree's do you think I really want to go dumpster diving:confused::p:D

Do you guys have any cabinet or furniture shops nearby? They may have scraps left over from jobs that are too small for them to reuse, but might be perfect for what you are doing. My buddy and I used to dumpster dive in cabinet shop dumpsters in HI (with their permission of course) and found some fun stuff. The shops were happy to have it used since they had to pay by the pound to dispose of it.

Brian Lamb
07-25-2016, 9:06 AM
I'm a long time woodworker and have shelves and bin boxes full of left overs at my disposal. But, I'm finding since I got the laser, while all wood will laser, a lot of it doesn't work very well, a pretty limited group of species give a nice dark mark with enough contrast to have the engraving be seen. I've done a few species that engrave beautifully, but they are so expensive you can't hardly afford to buy them to engrave on unless it's a very special piece.

Mike Null
07-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Brian

I am partial to cherry and mahogany as readily available, not too expensive varieties. I've had good luck with aromatic cedar as well though my supply has dwindled.

David Somers
07-25-2016, 1:27 PM
Bert!!! You mean folks don't Swamp Cool their garbage bins in AZ? Doesn't it just spontaneously combust? <grin>

Wait till Dec/Jan. There should be a few days then when it is cool enough to go dumpster diving!!

Bert Kemp
07-25-2016, 2:39 PM
Not yet Dave but I'm working on an air conditioned haz mat suit just for the occasion :D

Bert!!! You mean folks don't Swamp Cool their garbage bins in AZ? Doesn't it just spontaneously combust? <grin>

Wait till Dec/Jan. There should be a few days then when it is cool enough to go dumpster diving!!

Brian Lamb
07-25-2016, 7:57 PM
Hi Mike,

I have had great results with Cherry and African Mahogany, also Beech and Alder. Maple is so-so and Walnut, while it cuts well, it is so dark to begin with that unless I paint fill with white or something, you can't distinguish the wording very well. I had some oddball left overs and tried some Afromosia (African Teak) and it does really nice.... but alas, it's a $25 a board foot species, so not one I will whittle up for plaques.

Mike Null
07-25-2016, 8:32 PM
I personally don't like engraving into wood but sometimes customers insist. If I use walnut I usually fill with black. My preference with wood product is to inlay--if I have the option.