PDA

View Full Version : Esherick to Nakashima exhibit- amazing

Malcolm Schweizer
07-23-2016, 10:11 PM
We were in Mount Dora, FL this week and happened by chance upon the most amazing exhibit at the Modernism Museum Mount Dora, entitled "Esherick to Nakashima." It featured the works of Wharton Esherick and George Nakashima. I have been all over the world and seen some amazing exhibits, but this has to be the best collection and best-done exhibit of this type of furniture. I really don't even know where to begin. Let's start with a link: http://modernismmuseum.org

The two have a unique style that is very different, yet shows the same deep love and respect for the medium. Esherick did some wild and crazy sculptures including a futuristic pod elevated with wood stairs. There was a sideboard that had doors that, when opened, had runners to support the drawers when you opened them. (Hard to describe) The whole piece was very well designed and crafted. Nakashima really did a fine job with slab furniture that didn't look like you just glued a slab to a base like some slab furnishings I have seen. Seeing all these works in one location was almost overwhelming yet truly inspiring. I left longing for a larger shop where I can build larger pieces.

If you are headed to the Orlando area, make a side trip to Mount Dora before this exhibit ends. By the way, I'm going to be traveling a lot, hence my limited posts lately.