PDA

View Full Version : MDHearing aids

Bert Kemp
07-23-2016, 3:01 PM
Does anyone have any experience with MD Hearing aids. I can't afford expensive aids and these seem to be a good option from what I read. But hey its their website and there gonna say there good .So just wondering i9f anyone has tried them.I know there analog for the pro version and thats what Im looking at.so any personal experience input would be helpful.
Thanx

Wayne Lomman
07-23-2016, 9:00 PM
Bert, can you afford to get your hearing tested so that you know what kind of hearing loss you have? My wife has had hearing aids since she was in her 40's. We have found that some aids work and most don't not because they are bad, they just don't work in the right frequency range. Like you, we can't afford expensive ones. However, the hearing aid clinic helps us out with ones that are traded in for the fancy new ones. So before you buy anything, try and get tested so that you don't end up paying for something that doesn't work. Cheers

Mike Henderson
07-24-2016, 1:01 AM
Also, look at Costco. They had a hearing aid center and have the lowest prices on hearing aids.

Most states have a mandatory trial period for hearing aids. Here in CA it's 30 days. You can return the aids within 30 days and get all your money back. I think Costco gives you 6 months. If you return them in 6 months you get your money back. But check that - I'm going from memory.

Mike

glenn bradley
07-24-2016, 9:47 AM
While agreeing that hearing aids are priced horribly for the technology they offer your particular hearing curve must be addressed. Simply making things louder is not generally a good solution. Since they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee you could give them a whirl at little risk. Given what an iPhone does and costs, hearing aids should be about $50, not $3000.

Michael Weber
07-24-2016, 10:33 AM
All good suggestions. I've worn hearing aids for 48 years. Dispensing hearing aids is a license to print money. Even if insurance covers it the dispensers want their money up front, and work at not following up on insurance claims so they don't have to accept a negotiated price. At least that's my experience in Arkansas. Other states may differ. Costco is and excellent place to get an aid at a much lower price. They contract with manufactures to supply equivalent equipment at much lower prices. Aid dispensers hate them.

Bob Grier
07-24-2016, 11:27 AM
I have been using Costco aids for 5 years during which time the technology has improved significantly. I am on my second pair which is now a little more than a year old. The previous pair were good but not near as good as the ones I have now. The new pair are much better except for the battery life is only a few days. I think this years model, which is less expensive, has improved on battery life. They service them free of charge when needed and once a year they check my hearing and adjust the aids at no cost. I suppose all outfits do this but something to consider with providers is how long into the future will they be in business. I lost a primary care doctor this past year and that was a hassle.

Mike Henderson
07-24-2016, 12:25 PM
I have been using Costco aids for 5 years during which time the technology has improved significantly...
This is one of my major complaints about traditional hearing aid dispensers. Some years back, I bought a set of hearing aids for $6,600 for the pair. After a few years, that dispenser started bugging me to "upgrade" because technology had improved. But at $6,600 (actually it was more because the price had gone up) I couldn't afford it.

Finally, someone told me about Costco and I got a set of hearing aids that have Bluetooth in them for $1,800 for the pair. [A side note to those who wear hearing aids: Bluetooth makes it MUCH easier to hear on a phone call - it's like the world opened up]

Anyway, at $1,800 a pair, I can afford to upgrade in three or four years to gain the new technology. It's just obscene what traditional dispensers charge for aids.

Mike

Bert Kemp
07-24-2016, 12:38 PM
yes but Costco is 3 times the price of MDHearing aids. also the cost of most aids is less the $100 I realize the cost of R&D is expensive but I think 2 or 3000 dollars for an item that costs less the 100 is outrageous

Also, look at Costco. They had a hearing aid center and have the lowest prices on hearing aids.

Most states have a mandatory trial period for hearing aids. Here in CA it's 30 days. You can return the aids within 30 days and get all your money back. I think Costco gives you 6 months. If you return them in 6 months you get your money back. But check that - I'm going from memory.

Mike

Mike Henderson
07-24-2016, 1:21 PM
yes but Costco is 3 times the price of MDHearing aids. also the cost of most aids is less the $100 I realize the cost of R&D is expensive but I think 2 or 3000 dollars for an item that costs less the 100 is outrageous

I don't know anything about the MD aids but what (I think) you want to look for is a digital aid. That is, one that can be programmed by the provider. That way, you can try a "fitting" and then have it modified later as you get accustomed to wearing an aid or as your hearing changes.

The problem with hearing aids is that they sell into a relatively small market. The company has to have a staff of engineers to design the product and they have to spend money to market the aids. The electronics in a hearing aid is a chip, and getting a chip made is expensive. Once you have the chip design done and the masks made for the chip, the price of each chip is highly dependent on the volume.

So when you add in these costs to the build cost of the aid, the manufactured price of the aid is a lot more than the cost of the pieces that go into it. In fact, I think the reason Costco can sell at lower prices is that they have the volume and they can guarantee a certain volume to the manufacturer.

If everyone in the US (for example) had to buy a hearing aid, they'd be pretty inexpensive.

BTW, the price I quoted at Costco is for their top of the line aid, the one with Bluetooth. If you're not interested in that, call them and see what the non-Bluetooth aids sell for. They would be cheaper.

Mike

[Don't forget that you need someone to do a fitting of the aid to your hearing loss. I don't know how MD aids does that if they sell them from their web site. I suppose they could refer you to a dispenser but then you're going to have to pay the dispenser to do the fitting. I expect that would be a couple hundred dollars.]

Myk Rian
07-24-2016, 1:28 PM
What battery can be important. My Widex have a #312 battery, which is smaller than the #302, hence a smaller unit. They last me about 1 week.
I had read once to search for "hearing amplifier" instead of aids. Really cheap prices.
Get a hearing test. That will show which end of the audio spectrum you need boosted. I needed the higher frequencies.

Justin Koenen
07-24-2016, 2:39 PM
Bert, I am on my 4th pair of hearing aids, and my wife on her first pair. Yes, you want digital, but here is what we have learned. We are 10 miles from a State College. My wife went to their audiology department for a retest (she bought her aids somewhere else) and they tested & re-programmed her aids for a nominal fee. You might want to check into that approach and at least get an unbiased opinion. You should save a lot. Good hearing aids are a blessing .....and I bet you can complete the phrase re: bad ones. Good Luck !!!!! Justin

Mike Henderson
07-24-2016, 7:16 PM
Also, I see from your picture that you were in the military. If you have a VA disability, you might be able to get hearing aids from the VA. I don't know all the ins and outs of that but if you can get them, they will be free.

Mike

Jim Becker
07-24-2016, 7:55 PM
Bert, if you're a veteran, the VA can help you get quality hearing aids affordably. My dad got his that way...

Bert Kemp
07-24-2016, 8:42 PM
True but only if your hearing loss is service related

Bert, if you're a veteran, the VA can help you get quality hearing aids affordably. My dad got his that way...

Bob Grier
07-25-2016, 12:35 AM
Bert, There are service organizations that collect hearing aids donated by people who purchase new aids. I forget the name of the outfit that took mine when I updated a year ago but they service the aids and then provide them to people who can use them. I can not tell you about how it all works but I know they collect lots of hearing aids.

By the way, hearing aids are a hassle in many ways. Hearing aids that don't quite get you there are extra hassle. Wind, feedback, wrong frequency enhancement, ill fitting, no background noise canceling, etc. is also a hassle and if you have to put up with it, you will likely find you won't wear them.

Regarding the MD aid, you might want to check Consumer Affairs or Consumer Reports. Or, just simply google MD Hearing Aid problems and see what comes up. Of course there will be both good and bad experiences and some false reporting but you might find info that is worthwhile to you.

If a simple sound amplifying device works for you, you might try one of the sporting stores. I bought a set about 4 years ago for $15 for elk hunting. They were cheaply made but worked and served the purpose. I think they included a choice of 2 sizes of the plug that goes in the ear canal. They were behind the ear style but of course used the hollow tube instead of the receiver in the ear.

Jim Becker
07-26-2016, 6:48 PM
True but only if your hearing loss is service related
My father's hearing loss is not service related and the VA helped to fund his aids. I know that because the 'rents are now my "kids"...I manage their financials at this point.

Charles Palmer
07-28-2016, 3:55 PM
I see that you've got the EGA for your picture. Have you thought about the VA?
Im a retired Marine. I went to the Walter Reed and got my first set for about $700. I finally went to the VA with my medical records. They gave me 10% service related disability for hearing loss. With that service related disability they gave me free hearing aids and batteries.
even if you're not retired, I'd check with the VA.m talk to your local rep and see if you can get your hearing loss to be service related. It's definitely worth a shot!

Mike Henderson
07-28-2016, 5:00 PM
I see that you've got the EGA for your picture. Have you thought about the VA?
Im a retired Marine. I went to the Walter Reed and got my first set for about $700. I finally went to the VA with my medical records. They gave me 10% service related disability for hearing loss. With that service related disability they gave me free hearing aids and batteries.
even if you're not retired, I'd check with the VA.m talk to your local rep and see if you can get your hearing loss to be service related. It's definitely worth a shot!
I second this. Here in CA there's a group that functions as VA "advocates" for veterans. They will help you file for a service related disability. Actually, they'll do almost all the work for you. You do need to get a copy of your last hearing test to submit.

Even if you were not in combat but you were in a branch that created loud noise (such as the infantry or artillery) you can get a service related disability for hearing loss based on noise exposure during training. It won't be much, maybe 10%, but that's enough to get hearing aids through the VA.

Mike

Bert Kemp
07-29-2016, 2:00 AM
Well I've tried the VA and they just tell me its not service related and they can't help.

I second this. Here in CA there's a group that functions as VA "advocates" for veterans. They will help you file for a service related disability. Actually, they'll do almost all the work for you. You do need to get a copy of your last hearing test to submit.

Even if you were not in combat but you were in a branch that created loud noise (such as the infantry or artillery) you can get a service related disability for hearing loss based on noise exposure during training. It won't be much, maybe 10%, but that's enough to get hearing aids through the VA.

Mike

Jim Becker
07-29-2016, 9:37 AM
Don't give up so easily. Find an advocate like Mike mentioned.

Charles Palmer
07-29-2016, 12:45 PM
Go to your VA advocate. Try the local vfw - amleg. My advocate has an office in the local post. She helped me - filled out and submitted mine.
It's well worth the effort!

Bert Kemp
07-30-2016, 12:24 AM
ill try again

Charles Palmer
07-31-2016, 9:07 AM
I finally saw an ad for the MD aids. At 200 each, they're pretty inexpensive. However, they may only be sound amplifiers (my term - prob incorrect term).
My hearing loss is in the high frequencies and no loss in the lower. Just amplifying everything would probably be a bit painful if the lower frequencies were amplified as well. I'm not sure - just speculating.
my suggestion- and only a suggestion- is to get a pair that can be tuned to your specific loss. You'll be amazed at what you've been missing!
good luck with the VA.
go to Costco / Walmart/ BJs - may cost a bit more - but if they'll tune me, well worth it over the long run.

Myk Rian
08-01-2016, 9:40 PM
Well I've tried the VA and they just tell me its not service related and they can't help.
Ever fire a gun in the service without hearing protection?

Charles Palmer
08-02-2016, 9:38 AM
I'm pretty certain that wouldn't be justification. I had to show them my medical records. Thy compared my early hearing tests to the one for my discharge physical. That showed hearing loss over 20 years.
Get with your VA rep - he / she will know what to do.