PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw reccomendation.

Kent E. Matthew
07-23-2016, 12:00 PM
I have been monitoring this band saw on Craigslist. I think its a General model 490.
http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/5658807688.html

Any thoughts? Over the years I have collected chunks of oak that measure 3 x 5 x 40. Resawing these will be its primary task.

john lawson
07-23-2016, 1:59 PM
If that is a Canadian made General and it's in good condition then it's a good buy, a very good buy.

Check the bearings, check the tires and take a check with you. Good luck. :)

Carroll Courtney
07-23-2016, 3:17 PM
Looks like a Powermatic,but either way,get it that's a good deal.Just make sure that none of the cast iron parts are busted,pull the table off and check.Check out the the parts for the tilt making sure nothing is crack.----Carroll
Well PM did not make a 15"BS so it must be a General

Cary Falk
07-23-2016, 3:18 PM
I can't say anything about the saw. I will say that if resaw is the main purpose, 1hp will be a slow go. I had a 1hp Delta 14" and it was frustrating

Geoff Crimmins
07-23-2016, 7:01 PM
General seems to have taken a lot of design ideas for this saw from the Powermatic 141. Both the General and Powermatic are great saws, and are hard to beat as long as you don't need more than a 6" resaw height. As other posters said, check to make sure nothing is cracked, especially the trunnion bracket. Depending on the age of the saw, it may need new tires and bearings. It sounds like a good price if the saw is in good condition.

--Geoff

Peter Kelly
07-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Not a resaw bandsaw per se but a great machine at a great price none the less. Grab it ASAP!