PDA

View Full Version : Witherby, Rugg and Richardson Lathe

Andy Hoyt
09-25-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm wondering if anyone (Dev, are you listening?) has any knowledge of the following. This message was sent to me via snail mail.

"A large, heavy old lathe made by Witherby, Rugg and Richardson of Worchester Mass. It was probably made in the early 1900's. My father used it for years to cut lobster buoys and whatever... never anything very detailed so I don't know if it has that capability or not. In any case, we need to sell it and wondered if you might have any suggestions."

This is all I know at this time. I have asked the owner to send me a picture and will post it once/if received.

Thanks, Andy

Dev Emch
09-26-2005, 4:10 PM
This message dropped under the radar. Sorry, I dont know much about this company and the lathe description is vauge. Need more info and maybe some pictures although that is rich comming from me. As you know, the picture police are after me.:) I should post some more pictures.

Here is a brief tidbit of know info on this company and postings of some of their machines. Not lathes posted so the OWWM would be interested in getting some pictures.

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.asp?ID=909

Some of this stuff is getting harder and harder to find and keep running.

Bill Simmeth
09-26-2005, 5:24 PM
As you can read on the OWWM site, WRR was in its heyday in the late 1800's. Indeed, it folded and was merged into another manufacturer in 1903. However, they produced some classic machines for that era. Prominent in their products were elegant castings featuring serpentine wheel spokes and heart-shaped details on casting bodies. Their chisel mortiser was/is a true classic and almost art-like in appearance. Their jointer was solidly constructed and nicely engineered. I have never seen one of their lathes before. It could well feature cast iron headstock, tailstock and banjo with timber rails which was common in that timeframe. Manufacturers began to ship lathes with cast iron rails exclusively right around 1900. In any case, you'll most certainly find that the lathe has babbit bearings. This is not everyone's cup of tea, but need not be a hindrance, if they are in good shape -- especially on a wood lathe. Anyway, to wrap up my inflated 2 cents, it could be a real gem that - when cleaned up - could be a real showpiece for your shop. If you go to inspect, pay particular attention to the bearings looking for excess play or "slop".

Most definitely, please post a picture if you can!

Andy Hoyt
09-26-2005, 6:26 PM
Dev & Bill - Thanks.

I am impatiently waiting for some photos. I'll post them here when and if...