PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Press

David Pascoe
07-23-2016, 11:34 AM
I've been using a vacuum press for about 5 years now with a Robinair 55000, 2 stage 5cfm pump without a reservoir or control switch. I finally burned up the pump by forgetting and leaving it run for hours. Trying to find a suitable vacuum control and/or timer switch so I don't do the same with the new pump I just bought. The system leaks at the bag hose connector (brass with bicycle tire valve) and thru the pump itself. Since it will not hold a vacuum for long, I need to cycle the pump on and off. The objective is to keep the pump from running continuously. (No, I can't find any way to stop the leakage).

I could go one of two ways:

1. Control the pump with a vacuum control switch that turns it on when vacuum falls to a certain point and shuts off when full vac. is reached. This would be a switch that repeatedly turns on/off as needed.

2. A simple timer where you dial in the time to shut off. This would be a manual solution where I'd have to restart it if I needed it to run longer.

I prefer option #1 as it is most convenient but surely will cost more. Can anyone advise me as to a particular brand/model of switches needed achieve these goals. I've already purchased two very inappropriate timers - a computerized programmable residential type that is horrendously complicated.. So far all the ones I've researched on the 'net have very inadequate descriptions, so that I really can't discern what I am buying. If you have a system set up for vacuum pressure cycling, I'd like to hear how you did it and what switches you used.

Lee Schierer
07-23-2016, 3:35 PM
I have no idea if these are good or not, but they are adjustable. Vacuum control switch (http://anver.com/vacuum-components/vacuum-switches/vsel-adj-ncno/) You would need to determine what level of vacuum you want to hold and build a control box to hold the electrical components.

Gerry Grzadzinski
07-23-2016, 4:26 PM
Have you been to joewoodworker.com?

Thomas Bank
07-23-2016, 6:06 PM
I've been using a vacuum press for about 5 years now with a Robinair 55000, 2 stage 5cfm pump without a reservoir or control switch.

No, I can't find any way to stop the leakage.

Personally, these would be the points I’d be starting with. First, make things as leak proof as possible. Depending on what you’re doing, some leakage is almost a given, but it should be fairly minimal. Then put in a reservoir with a regulator so that you can cycle the pump while still maintaining a constant vacuum.

Frank Pratt
07-23-2016, 6:46 PM
Ya, definitely check out joewoodworker.com (http://joewoodworker.com) He seems like the guru of vacuum press systems

Bruce Wrenn
07-25-2016, 9:07 PM
I'm surprised that you "burnt out pump," as these run for days at the time to vacuum down large systems. But because you had leaks, then pump was doing too much work. Rebuild kits are available for your pump.