PDA

View Full Version : Purchase On-Line or In-Person

Rich Riddle
07-22-2016, 6:38 PM
I am finding that on-line purchases provide more advantages than shopping in person. If you can wait a few days for delivery, it's great. I typically have several ongoing simultaneous projects, so waiting for parts for one isn't an issue of a lack of available work. Gone are the days of spending $25 in gas to purchase a $2 part. Contrary to me, the neighbor goes in person and looks for everything. What do you folks find yourselves doing?

George Bokros
07-22-2016, 6:48 PM
Depends on my in-the-door cost. These days shipping and handling for some items, especially lower value items, is way more than I can purchase locally. Also depends on how far I have to drive to get the item.

Wayne Lomman
07-22-2016, 6:56 PM
My preference is to use the net and the phone and pick it up next time I am in town. However, Tasmania doesn't have every supplier so I often have to get it sent instead. I almost never purchase on line - too many drop kicks selling bs. Costs doing it my way are low but does require planning. Cheers

Frederick Skelly
07-22-2016, 7:12 PM
Consumer electronics and tools are a good example of what I do. If I go to a brick and mortar store to try one out or to compare among products, I normally buy the product from them (if it's what I want). I do this even if the store is 15-20% higher than online, because their investment in a physical store enabled me to put hands-on, which let me make a better purchasing decision. So I feel it's fair to pay something for that convenience. (With electronics, they will sometimes match online prices too.) I do something similar when internet shopping for cars - I always give the dealer who let me drive it have a chance to match the lowest bid I got from everyone else. (Though I won't pay 15% more for a car, like I would for smaller items.)

It works for me. YMMV. :)

Fred

Jim Becker
07-22-2016, 7:37 PM
Percentage wise, our household buys quite a bit online, primarily from Amazon, but not exclusively. I buy clothing from Duluth Trading and woodworking things from Lee Valley, for example. I manage my parents finances and send them "paper products" purchased from Amazon because that's less expensive then them buying in the local grocery store. I buy camera and sometimes computer related items from B&H Photo in NYC online. Local purchases are more around food, gas, and ad hoc things from the home center that are needed "now". Professor Dr. SWMBO hates shopping in person when it comes to things other than food, etc., so Amazon benefits. (We've been Prime members for years) The time we don't spend running around is then available for other activities...such as shop time for me and beekeeping for The Professor.

Kev Williams
07-22-2016, 8:57 PM
I buy online a lot. DVD's, gas fireplaces, anything computer related, vitamins, tires, lawn sprinklers.... and lets not forget PRINTER INK--my gawd, I was paying $14 per cartridge for my Canon printer from Office Depot, and the thing takes 5 cartridges (2 blacks)- finally one day I found a place on Amazon, that sells 3 SETS of 5 cartridges--15 cartridges-- for $12 total, to my door!! 15 cartridges for less than the price of ONE!! And guess what, these cartridges are CHOCK FULL! They're clear, so you can see the ink! Because I got them cheap I haven't been afraid to use the thing. I'm still on my first set of cartridges and I've printed probably 3 times as many pages as I used to before the others would start needing replacing, and all but one cartridge is still more than half full! Amazing...

But not everything is cheaper online. If something is cheaper close by, I'll drive to it.

Sometimes online buys have a catch, like when I bought a couple of tires for my boat trailer. The tires were a screamin' deal, same size and ratings as a $255 Goodyear Workhorse for $89. Turns out they're great tires! BUT, they had to be delivered and mounted at a tire store of my choice from their list. No biggie, I thought, until I got the bill for $48 to mount 2 tires on wheels I brought them, they didn't even have to take them off the trailer. I used to do the snow-tire changeover at Budget Rent-a-car way back when, if I can dismount, mount and air up in less than 4 minutes, anyone can. To pay $48 for 8 minutes work seemed a bit much...

But for the most part, Amazon and e-bay are my friends :)

Stan Calow
07-22-2016, 9:32 PM
On principle, I prefer to buy in person, but the reality is that sometimes its too easy to order something from the couch. Then its frustrating to find that there are so few options left to buy some things in person.

Rich Engelhardt
07-22-2016, 10:46 PM
I despise the poor excuse of a store our local Wal Mart is.
I'd rather rip my toe nails out with a pair of pliers than shop there.

Curt Harms
07-23-2016, 7:59 AM
The majority of our electronics come from either Microcenter, NewEgg or Ebay. Neither SWMBO or I wear readily available clothing sizes - or we can't find the color we want - so we often order to pick up at the store. Easier returns that way.

Larry Frank
07-23-2016, 8:02 AM
I prefer to buy in person if possible but not to pay an excess over online price. Some stores like BestBuy, will match online prices.

George Bokros
07-23-2016, 8:05 AM
I despise the poor excuse of a store our local Wal Mart is.
I'd rather rip my toe nails out with a pair of pliers than shop there.

I would just trim them toenails with your track saw if I were you Rich.

Erik Loza
07-23-2016, 8:09 AM
We buy mostly online (Amazon, etc.) but I will go a little out of my way to shop in person at local businesses and don't mind paying a little more in those cases. There's a neighborhood hardware store that is pricier than HD/Lowe's but I always get such friendly service that it justifies it. At least in my mind.

Erik

Tom M King
07-23-2016, 9:15 AM
You could ask our UPS, FedEx, and mail lady. There aren't many days we don't get something from Amazon and/or ebay. ebay is not only for auctions any more. Free shipping makes a difference. I don't remember the last time I was in a retail store, other than a grocery store.

Sam Murdoch
07-23-2016, 9:38 AM
I am a huge fan of online shopping. Allows me to sit at home and do all my research and comparisons and then confidently buy the best product for the money. Free S&H is a great incentive. I buy clothing, electronic, tools, you name it, and very often NOT from Amazon.

Clothing is the greatest challenge because I am not a "standard" body type. Nearly everything needs to be altered - certainly pants (I have gotten very good at doing that myself) but shirts and outerwear are not all sized equally. Once I discover a good fit clothing company they get most of my business. Otherwise I don't buy clothing without first trying on. I VERY RARELY - almost NEVER, go shopping. I only occasionally follow my wife around on her very infrequent shopping expeditions.

Recently however, I was at a major chain men's clothing store being fitted for a new suit. I had the occasion to walk around to try on some shirts too. Saw a very nice silk summer shirt. Short sleeves that actually looked right on me and a great fit all around. These were priced at $ 89.99 but on sale for $ 59.99. Still I had spent enough money that that shirt was excessive. Nonetheless I came home and on an impulse checked their web site. The had a big collection of these very shirts on 3 or 4 pages. As I scrolled down the pages I saw the same style silk shirt priced from the $ 59.99 store sale price, down to $35.99. OK, tempting :rolleyes:. Then wayyyy at the bottom of the page - the same shirt selling for $ 5.24 EACH :eek:. I checked for my size, reread the text to make certain these weren't defected. Opened several tabs to compare the photos and descriptions with the higher priced versions and finally ordered 2. $12. and some odd cents, including tax for 2 shirts and I received them with free S&H in 2 days. They look flawless and fit as well as those in the store. NOW that is incentive for online shopping.

Jim Becker
07-23-2016, 9:39 AM
You could ask our UPS, FedEx, and mail lady. There aren't many days we don't get something from Amazon and/or ebay. ebay is not only for auctions any more. Free shipping makes a difference. I don't remember the last time I was in a retail store, other than a grocery store.
Yea, we've become "first name basis" with many of the delivery drivers. In fact, our UPS driver of many years recently retired (a second time...they wooed him back the first time with a major raise and a helper)...and he remains a friend I chat with when opportunity allows.

Dave Lehnert
07-23-2016, 11:09 AM
It all depends on the item.
A big thing for me is what the return policy is. Buying a large item online then having problems (or don't like) and needing to return at my expense kills a great deal quick.
My new go to place to order is Wal-Mart. Use to be a big amazon customer. But since they raised the free shipping to $49 harder for me to meet the minimum. Wal-Mart I can place any size order and it ships free to store. Pick up same day if in stock at local store or most often less than a week ship to store. Also a big plus is all returns can be made at local store. Walmart often is the exact same price or lower than Amazon. Also items don't sit on my porch all day.
For Amazon I place small items on my wish list and add them to an order when I need something I can not get anyplace else priced below the $49 minimum.
I see where Amazon Prime is a good deal for some. But I don't watch many movies. and why, in my case , pay $100 year for Prime shipping if I get free shipping to store at WalMart. (Walmart is across the street from work)

FYI Walmart online is often cheaper than in store price. Laser printer cartage I use is around $12 cheaper if I order online for store pickup vs just selecting it off the shelf.

I enjoy detailing my cars. I get most of my wax, etc... at Pep Boys. They very often offer 30 % off online order for pick up in store. They are local for me so its handy.

Bert Kemp
07-23-2016, 1:40 PM
Well I shop online a lot since the closest shopping area is 20 miles from me and the major area is 40 miles plus.One of the reasons I mostly ride my m/c.

Brian Henderson
07-23-2016, 4:16 PM
I shop online unless I need it right now. With free 2-day shipping on almost everything though, I'd never leave the house if I didn't have to.

Larry Frank
07-23-2016, 8:28 PM
The postman is really taking the brunt of lots of deliveries as Amazon has sent them a lot of business. He had to climb the steps to my door today and in the 90 degree heat and high humidity looked pretty beat.

John K Jordan
07-23-2016, 9:14 PM
What do you folks find yourselves doing?

I purchase most farm things including horse items, boots, etc. from the local farmers co-op even if they are not the cheapest since I REALLY want them to stay in business. It would be a big problem to run a farm without a good feed and animal care products close by.

I shop the hardware store and the big box store for most lighting, electrical, and occasional hardware and board.

Air compressor supplies, inner tubes, big tools, pressure washers and such are a 30 minute drive to Northern Tool.

I drive 10 minutes to WalMart for plastic tubs and the occasional 25 lb bag of sugar for the beehives.

I buy machine parts and tools and other stuff from whoever has them on-line. I get many things from Amazon that are not readily available elsewhere or if I want them fairly quickly but not today. They've got me hooked with the 2-day shipping thrown in. It's amazing how they can get a $3 item to me with 2-day shipping included. I did get my big horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw from Amazon since the price was right.

JKJ

Curt Harms
07-24-2016, 9:10 AM
Use to be a big amazon customer. But since they raised the free shipping to $49 harder for me to meet the minimum. Wal-Mart I can place any size order and it ships free to store. Pick up same day if in stock at local store or most often less than a week ship to store. Also a big plus is all returns can be made at local store. Walmart often is the exact same price or lower than Amazon. Also items don't sit on my porch all day.
For Amazon I place small items on my wish list and add them to an order when I need something I can not get anyplace else priced below the $49 minimum.
I see where Amazon Prime is a good deal for some. But I don't watch many movies. and why, in my case , pay $100 year for Prime shipping if I get free shipping to store at WalMart. (Walmart is across the street from work)

I'm not big on Movies at all but do enjoy programming that is not available except on the highest $ tiers of the cable company. I've been a Hulu subscriber but they seem to be dropping what I watch for yet more Hollywood dreck which I don't watch. Amazon seems to be picking up those series and I'm paying Hulu $7.99/month. $7.99 X 12=$95.88/yr. So for another $3.12/yr. I can get free 2 day delivery on most stuff. Different wants/needs different solutions.

Sam Duran
07-30-2016, 3:00 AM
The convenience of shopping online far outweighs any benefits of shopping in person in my opinion.