PDA

View Full Version : lyptus and cherry table

John Daugherty
09-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Here are a couple of pics of a table I made for my daughter to do her homework.

It is made of Lyptus and Cherry. I really liked working with the Lyptus. It worked well and was very heavy. There are a couple things I would have done differently. I should have tapered the legs more and I should have used a thin kerf blade for cutting the drawer front.

For the finish I used a couple coats of BLO, then a seal coat of shellac, and lastly three coats of deft satin spray varnish on top.

Peter Pedisich
09-25-2005, 10:44 PM
John,

Nice, clean design. I like the color also.
If I had a table like that maybe I would have done my homework more often.:D

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Beautiful table John. Nice, simple design.

Bernie

Dick Parr
09-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Very nice John!

Great Job. :)

Wade Samuelson
09-25-2005, 11:27 PM
My wife is standing behind me and looking over my shoulder. She says to say "Wow. I want one!!" (Knowing full well I'm still about 3 years out from being able to make her one!)

Nice table! Really, it's great!

Roy Wall
09-25-2005, 11:28 PM
John,

THe table looks terrific!! Nice job.....excellent project!

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Actually, John, the legs look in correct proportion to the rest of the piece. THE PROJECT IS VERY NICE!

BRUCE

Vaughn McMillan
09-26-2005, 5:09 AM
Nicely done, John. I like the wood you used for the front -- it's got nice figure. You get an "A" for your homework, hopefully it'll carry over to your daughter, too.

- Vaughn

lou sansone
09-26-2005, 5:28 AM
as others have said... great looking table. so what is next?

lou

Gail O'Rourke
09-26-2005, 7:32 AM
John, I have heard a lot of good things about Lyptus and the cherry looks beautiful, nice wood choice.

It is a pretty table.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-26-2005, 8:19 AM
John,

That sure is a great looking table! Still wouldn't help me get my homework done :( I am such a procrastinator!

Tom Jones III
09-26-2005, 8:38 AM
Good job. I love them wood choice. That drawer looks nice and tight in the apron.

The legs look good as they are, it gives the table a nice sturdy look that you want in a work table. I love legs that are very tapered, but they give such an impression of lightness that you wouldn't feel right throwing a backpack full of books down on the table. Something that is not done often enough is tapering the 2 inside faces of each leg and leaving the 2 outside faces square.

Pete Harbin
09-26-2005, 9:01 AM
How will she get any homework done distracted by that table? :D

Really nice work John. That cherry front really has some beautiful figure.

Pete

Jason Tuinstra
09-26-2005, 10:35 AM
John, the table turned out great. I'm sure you daughter is going to have a love/hate relationship with it though :) :D

Jim Becker
09-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Very nice, John! Looks quite similar to the table I made for my niece (http://sawsndust.com/p-studentdesk-p1.shtm) a few years ago for the same purpose...not that I know if she's used it that way! This is a really good table design because it's so versatile...you can scale it for size in so many ways. Great job!

John Gregory
09-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Great looking project. We have worked with Lyptus too, and will again. It is a beautiful wood

John Daugherty
09-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the comments.

Jim,
I looked at the table you made on your site. I loosely base this table on your plans. I changed the dimensions for this table. I used your recommendations for cutting the front.

Christopher Stahl
09-28-2005, 11:09 AM
That's a sharp looking table. I really do like the wood combination.

chris

Dan Forman
09-28-2005, 4:19 PM
If I had a table like that maybe I would have done my homework more often.:D

I dunno, I had won like that, and ended up spending more tyme lookin at da wud then dooing my homewurc.

Turifik job!!!

Dan