PDA

View Full Version : Speedy 300 X Axis blowing fuses

Michael Haile
07-22-2016, 11:36 AM
I have started having an issue out of the blue with our Trotec Speedy 300. During startup, the X axis fuse blows while the machine attempts to home itself. No changes have been made to the machine since it was last used and was working fine. I hesitate using the help desk because I am capable of troubleshooting most problems and I am not interested in the standard "replace the board" answer. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has had this problem and found a simple solution. A visual inspection shows no sign of damage and I am about to go in-depth with a meter and oscope to try and find a faulty part.

A little back story:

We are a military organization and were able to procure this machine at no cost because it was deemed not repairable. Needless to say that 3 fuses and a firmware update was all that was required to get it operational. After a thorough cleaning and alignment, it ran perfect. I was originally unable to update the firmware and the "Help Desk" stated it needed a new processor card because it was so old (2006). I utilized the original JobControl program to connect and update the 6.1.1 firmware to the newest and was able to use JC X without issue. I say this just in case anyone else has the same problems.

I have no funding to repair the machine so I am relying on good old-fashioned troubleshooting to find the problem. Unlike the radars and radios I work on daily, this thing isn't designed for repair so I have my work cut out for me!

Gary Hair
07-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Have you checked for mechanical issues? Does the head move freely in X and Y or is it difficult to move? I don't know if you have steppers or servos, but a stepper should lose steps if it can't move but a servo could possibly blow a fuse.

Kim Vellore
07-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Since the fuse only blows when trying to home it must be the motor or the driver. Does the X axis even move a little before blowing the fuse? Can you disconnect the motor and try to home? at least that will eliminate the motor.

Kim

Mike Null
07-22-2016, 12:21 PM
My experiences with the Trotec help desk have been far better than what you imply. My machine is also a 2006 vintage and they had servos in the Speedy 300 series.

I would first look at the incoming power supply. I don't know where you're located but thunderstorms in our area can wreak havoc on electrical devices. Your machine should be hooked up to a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

With the machine off see if the carriage moves freely in both x and y axes.

Michael Haile
07-22-2016, 12:52 PM
I meant to add that the unit has DC motors with encoder wheels that move freely. I discovered that the 1uf capacitor located after the fuse is bad. I don't have a replacement of that type available at the moment so I'll replace as soon as I can and retry.

Michael Haile
07-22-2016, 12:57 PM
I really didn't have any trouble with the help desk and they provided me with mounds of troubleshooting aids. In the end they defaulted to replacement when the part wasn't bad. I get that a lot when working with electronics, but I have a repair shop at my disposal and years of service. I like to fix as opposed to replace whenever possible. The machine is on a dedicated circuit with overload and spike protection. It may have been free but it is still expensive!

Mike Null
07-22-2016, 2:08 PM
It doesn't appear that there is a budget for expensive repairs but your machine is old enough to be considering what you'll do if the tube goes. You have an excellent place in Grove City, https://photovaclaser.com/ that can repair the tube when needed. Not cheap though.

Michael Haile
07-22-2016, 2:49 PM
Thanks for the info! The machine sat in storage for 7 years and saw very light use when it was active. The laser cuts super nice and we generally use it for small plate and plaque engraving so hopefully we have a few years of life out of it.

Michael Haile
09-21-2016, 4:01 PM
So I was forced to replace the X-axis motor and X-axis rear board. I was fortunate enough to have some bean counters let loose of the funds to buy the parts. Now the machine is up and running again. I appreciate the responses. Thanks!