PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Sorby Tool

Steve Mathews
07-22-2016, 9:53 AM
I expected Robert Sorby tools would be of excellent quality based on their reputation. The thin parting tool that I just purchased and received does not fit that description in my opinion. First of all the advertised 1/16" (.063) dimension is not accurate. It's actually .075". The brass rivets holding the wood handle to the blade are crudely put together and stick out. There are also gaps and ridges between the handle and blade. Overall this is not a well put together tool. I will be sending it back.

Mel Fulks
07-22-2016, 10:05 AM
I worked in a shop that had some Sorby stuff for use of employees. But those of us who tried them thought they were too soft. Even the boss preferred my old cast steel chisels and remarked on their superiority. And many say the new high tech steel is much better than those old ones.

John Keeton
07-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Do yourself a favor and buy a D-Way thin parting tool. Great steel and just a well designed tool.

Justin Stephen
07-22-2016, 10:38 AM
It has been awhile since I have purchased a Sorby tool but my first gouge was a Sorby and I do own a few of their other tools. It was the best brand that my local Woodcraft sold back when I started so that was what I bought a lot of. If there has been a recent dropoff in quality, I wouldn't have noticed. My general impression of them is they are of reasonably good quality but that they really are not a great value for the prices charged, most especially compared with companies like D-Way or Thompson. The one Sorby tool that I use often is their "Multitool" and I only use it with the teardrop scraper attachment for shear scraping in certain trouble spots. The teardrop shape is just perfect for certain applications.

Edit: I take that back. My main negative rake scraper also started life as a Sorby round nose scraper before I reground it. No complaints about the tool quality on this one and I use it pretty often.

Bob Bergstrom
07-22-2016, 11:02 AM
Do yourself a favor and buy a D-Way thin parting tool. Great steel and just a well designed tool.
+1 with John. Stopped buying Sorby years ago. D-Way are top notch in everything he sell and very acessable for any questions.