PDA

View Full Version : Linear Bearing Grease - Product / Brand Advice?

Oni Laughton
07-21-2016, 6:47 PM
Hello

I need to purchase some bearing grease to use in the bearings of my C02 laser cutting machine. I am told by the Chinese manufacturers of my machine that the grease needs to be 'anti-heat' (which I assume means fire retardant?!? Not sure...).

Can anyone offer any advise on which grease to purchase for this purpose?

Thank you,
Oni

Bert Kemp
07-21-2016, 7:01 PM
Doing a search for linear bearing grease found this. P2 grease from THK (lithium based), which is expensive and intended for precision ball screws. It's very thick, but has a wide temperature rating.

Hello

I need to purchase some bearing grease to use in the bearings of my C02 laser cutting machine. I am told by the Chinese manufacturers of my machine that the grease needs to be 'anti-heat' (which I assume means fire retardant?!? Not sure...).

Thank you,
Oni

Mark Sipes
07-21-2016, 7:46 PM
Hello

Thank you,
Oni

I believe they are referring to the drop point, the temperature at which the grease turns more liquid than solid. I use a lithium multipurpose bearing grease. the drop point is 350*F.........I can't imagine a laser bearing getting even close to that point.

Gary Hair
07-22-2016, 12:44 AM
Almost any white lithium grease will work. Whatever you do, don't use WD-40! Use denatured alcohol to clean the rails and then apply the grease very sparingly, less is better and more is bad in this case.

I know the THK grease is very expensive, but it's not as "sticky" as other lithium grease and really works well. The good news is that even if you use a lot of it, a tube should last you for years - the one that came with my first laser lasted 5 or 6 years. Search eBay for "THK lithium grease" and you'll find some for around $25 a tube - that sounds expensive but if it lasts just 4 years that's only $6.25 per year.