PDA

View Full Version : Baltic birch lidded bowl

Bob Bergstrom
07-20-2016, 11:37 PM
Woodcraft had 1' squares of 3/4" Baltic birch on sale. I bought 5 and glue 3 for the base and 2 for the lid. So much glue, I spent more time sharpening than turning. It received a silver base coat followed by candy apple blue lacquer. Then I squirted turquoise blue Pearl-ex on the lid while the lid was spinning slowly on the lathe. This spread as centrifical force spread it toward the rim. Lastly I used a detail spray gun to spray misty lavender Pearl-ex on the bowl and lid with the lid in place. This left blue around the rim. The nob is maple with ble lacquer and misty lavender sprinkled on with a dry brush.

Brian Kent
07-21-2016, 12:32 AM
Oh Yeeaaahhh!

Brian Tymchak
07-21-2016, 8:04 AM
Wow, that's pretty cool! Pretty innovative with the dye job. Love the overall shape. I'm surprised how smooth the alternating grain of the plywood came out on the side of the bowl. Did you fill the surface before starting with the dyes?

Curtis Myers
07-21-2016, 8:36 AM
Wish I could see it in person.

Bob Bergstrom
07-21-2016, 8:45 AM
Wow, that's pretty cool! Pretty innovative with the dye job. Love the overall shape. I'm surprised how smooth the alternating grain of the plywood came out on the side of the bowl. Did you fill the surface before starting with the dyes?

Brian, it does not have a filler on it, but I did have to do considerable sanding on the surface. The birch vs glue presented real problems with soft wood and some pitting. The sanding seemed to level the surface well. The layers can be seen on the inside, but are smooth. The outside has a couple layers of sprayed silver paint as an undercoat. Clear lacquer was sprayed over the final colores.