PDA

View Full Version : Some more helpful hints on assembling a 3520 lathe

Bob Bergstrom
07-20-2016, 11:14 PM
We were assembling a members new used lathe when we realized how helpful an 8 ft. 2 x 4 can be. Slipping the 2 x 4 through the end of the bed under the ways provides an easy way for 2 or 3 people to lift the bed with the legs assembled to an upright position. It also holds the extension in place when screwing in the bolts. The 2 x 4 slips into the gap under the way and allows one person to tilt the bed on end. The tail stock can also act as a clamp when alligning the extension and the bed. Straddle the clamping mechanism over joint and set the clamp. Tighten the bolts. Lifting the headstock can be eased by lacing a rope or web clamp around both ends of the spindle with a faceplate on the inboard side. Slip a 2 x 4 under the rope and two people can lift it onto the bed. A 3 rd person is helpful in alligning it.

Mike Goetzke
07-21-2016, 8:22 AM
Wish I knew this earlier...great find!

Mike

Justin Stephen
07-21-2016, 8:32 AM
Great tip. I managed to put mine together alone with the help of a Harbor Freight lift cart. Not the easiest thing I have ever done, that's for sure.

Mark Greenbaum
07-21-2016, 8:43 AM
I wonder if the bed on Grizzly G0766 is similar? Great tip - have to remember that one.

John K Jordan
07-21-2016, 8:57 AM
We were assembling a members new used lathe when we realized how helpful an 8 ft. 2 x 4 can be. ...It also holds the extension in place when screwing in the bolts. The 2 x 4 slips into the gap under the way and allows one person to tilt the bed on end. The tail stock can also act as a clamp when alligning the extension and the bed. Straddle the clamping mechanism over joint and set the clamp.

Wow, great minds think alike! That's exactly how I assembled the bed extension.

I didn't have the benefit of another person so I unloaded and assembled the entire thing by myself. I braced things and lifted the bed to attach to the first leg casting then used a floor jack to lift to attach the other leg casting underneath. Good thing I've been lifting and tossing bales of hay for the last dozen years.

I struggled with how to attach the bed extension by myself until I hit on the 2x4 idea.

JKJ