PDA

View Full Version : Thermatru fiberglass front door

Prashun Patel
07-20-2016, 10:24 AM
I am having fiberglass front doors installed but would prefer to finish them myself. Any good recommendations for a durable door finish on fiberglass? It will be "stained". Waterlox marine? Epifanes? Any sprayable ideas?

Wayne Lomman
07-21-2016, 9:08 AM
Prashun, usually I would head for the nearest auto paint supplier and get a 2 pack polyurethane. If painting, I use the recommended primer. If clear coating, I usually use it stand alone. The paint may cost a little more, but how often do we repaint our cars because they are weathered? I have used this on boats. I saw one today that I painted back in 2007 and it still looks like new.

However, are you planning to use the Thermatru finishing products? If so, you would have to check compatibility before using an alternate finish coat. I generally don't like mixing different brands in the one coating system. Cheers

Andy Giddings
07-21-2016, 1:53 PM
Prashun, just to throw this into your consideration. We've had a Thermatru fiberglass front door stained and with the factory finish. Its stood up to the Texas weather with a Westerly exposure (full sun all afternoon) for 5 years so far showing no sign of fading or distress. I can't think of many off the shelf coatings I could use that would be better

Prashun Patel
07-21-2016, 2:20 PM
Thanks, Guys. I'm going to go with the factory finish; you guys have convinced me!

Andy Giddings
07-21-2016, 6:28 PM
Just one thing I'd add, Prashun - they offer several different levels of finish and we went with the most expensive mainly due to the sun exposure. I have no idea whether this made a fundamental difference or whether the value is there. Probably worth talking over with either Thermatru or your supplier