PDA

View Full Version : Chiller

Julian Ashcroft
07-20-2016, 5:31 AM
I have two lasers, one has a CW-4000 Chiller Unit which I purchased from HPC.

The other came with a CW-3000 Unit which obviously struggles to keep the water temperature down. I'm going to replace this with a chiller unit.

I would like to go for another CW-4000 as the one I have has performed well over the last year or so I have had it (run 24/7). However my 9060 laser has a lead that goes from the laser to the chiller which sounds an alarm and stops the laser firing if the water flow stops. The CW-4000 doesn't appear to have this feature. Am I going to have to go for a CW-5000 to keep this feature or is there a a work around?

I also can't work out the difference between a CW-5000 and a CW-5200, unless one has just more cooling capacity.

Jerome Stanek
07-20-2016, 7:14 AM
The CW 5000 has 1 inlet outlet and the CW 5200 has 2

David Somers
07-20-2016, 1:00 PM
Julian,

Would you be able to make your CW3000 functional if you added a 5 gallon waterbucket with a 1 gallong plastic milk jug of frozen water in it to the water line? Keep 1 or more water jugs frozen in the freezer so you can swap them out as needed. My preference would be to use a CW5000 or 5200 with active chilling. But a bucket with an ice jug in it should do the trick if you want to be frugal.

All the CW3000 will be capable of is getting the water to ambient temperature. It is only a radiator and cant get water below the temperature of the surrounding air unless you aid it with something like an ice bucket.

Keith Winter
07-20-2016, 1:37 PM
The CW 5000 has 1 inlet outlet and the CW 5200 has 2

Incorrect I have a cw 5200 and it has one inlet. They are almost all available in your choice of single or double inlets .

Bill Carruthers
07-20-2016, 4:33 PM
I have two lasers, one has a CW-4000 Chiller Unit which I purchased from HPC.

The other came with a CW-3000 Unit which obviously struggles to keep the water temperature down. I'm going to replace this with a chiller unit.

I would like to go for another CW-4000 as the one I have has performed well over the last year or so I have had it (run 24/7). However my 9060 laser has a lead that goes from the laser to the chiller which sounds an alarm and stops the laser firing if the water flow stops. The CW-4000 doesn't appear to have this feature. Am I going to have to go for a CW-5000 to keep this feature or is there a a work around?

I also can't work out the difference between a CW-5000 and a CW-5200, unless one has just more cooling capacity.

Hi Julian- yes the CW5200 has just about double the cooling capacity as the CW5000 - 1.49W versus about .7KW
There's lots of info here - http://www.teyuchiller.com/product/
When I got my 5200 the price difference (out of China) was very little so it made it an easy decision -especially being in a hot & humid environment.
As far as the alarm is concerned most lasers seem to have a water flow sensor which operates independently of whatever is pumping the water - i.e. even if it is just an aquarium pump and bucket system. So you shouldn't need to let that factor in your decision.
Cheers
Bill

Michael Arruda
07-21-2016, 4:15 PM
I use an aquarium chiller. Works great, is easier to get and cheaper than a laser chiller if you watch for a used one. I have a couple from when I was servicing saltwater aquariums. I have a reservoir I pull from with a pump through to laser tube and a pump that runs to the chiller. Second pump and chiller cycle on and off depending on water temp. Will chill water down to 50 degrees if I let it run. I will be installing a flow sensor on the laser tube line sometime when I get a chance.

-Michael