PDA

View Full Version : My Grandson Thought He Saw A Chipmunk today

Jim Koepke
07-19-2016, 9:09 PM
Candy (SWMBO) and our granddaughter went into town today and left the two visiting grandsons home with me. It seemed like a good day to take care of some problems with the shutters in the greenhouse. First was the temp switch wasn't working properly so we replaced that. Then one of the shutter motors was in the shop. I rebuilt it but hadn't reinstalled it yet. So with the kids to help carry tools and such it seemed like a good thing to do together and teach them a little about things electrical. Somehow or another I misplaced all the screws that held all the stuff together. Fortunately for me I have a lot of extras.

The oldest was looking out the greenhouse door and asked, "do you have chipmunks up here?" I said yes, but you usually do not see them. He then exclaimed something like, "dang, that chipmunk just bit that mouses head off and carried it away." I turned and looked at him and said, "chipmunks are not carnivorous." He then saw it again or another one and pointed it out. Turns out it was a weasel. My neighbor said something about seeing one near his chicken coup.

Well at least I know why my traps have been catching less mice and rats lately.

It is also likely they are what is burrowing all over the place around our yard and greenhouse.

It's always something. Looked it up with Dr. Google and it seems they are being reintroduced in western Washington.

jtk

Allan Speers
07-19-2016, 10:46 PM
Weasles? Wo.

Next thing you know, you'll be overrun with lawyers and bankers. :p (Better get some BIG traps!)

Jim Koepke
07-20-2016, 12:05 AM
Weasles? Wo.

(Better get some BIG traps!)

One of my large rat traps went missing. It is likely down a hole somewhere.

I do have a trap that looks like two horse shoes with serrated blades. I have to put it in my vise and crank it down to set it. It looks like it is evil enough to get critters to move out of the neighborhood.

jtk

Conrad Fiore
07-20-2016, 6:52 AM
Unless you have chickens, keep the weasel.

Larry Frank
07-20-2016, 7:12 AM
I could use some weasels to take care of my chipmunk.

I wire all my small traps to something to keep them from walking away.