PDA

View Full Version : 1390x900 laser cutter and engraver

Alex Andjelkovic
07-19-2016, 6:41 AM
Hi,

I will be purchasing a 100W 1390x900 laser cutter and engraver from a local supplier in SA, as i will be using this in my garage, i would like to know 2 things:

How can one lower noise of my extractor fan as it is in a residential area
what can one do to eliminate the fumes of the cutting process so it does not stink and bother my neighbours?

Thanx in advance

Cheers

Alex

Rodne Gold
07-19-2016, 6:56 AM
SA ..IE South Africa?
Which local machine are you buying.. they are grossly overpriced by local importers

Alex Andjelkovic
07-19-2016, 7:27 AM
Correct

I got a good deal at a company called Advanced Machinery in JHB.

Rodne Gold
07-19-2016, 7:44 AM
I know them.. you will save a lot if you import direct .. but not much handholding..AM.co will probably have you up and running quicker if you a newbie .at a cost...

Shenui , Liaocheng longtai, G weike are good to import from

You can call me on 082 9550808 if you want to discuss

The blowers arent that noisy...exhaust the blower with a PVC pipe that goes above roof level to disperse fumes..or use a filtered system..which is expensive

What sort of work are you contemplating doing?

Alex Andjelkovic
07-19-2016, 8:09 AM
The cost from AM is really not that much, due to the fact that i live 9km from them.

The plan is to start the "business" for my wife, and after a year or so she can run with it and hopefully quit her job, mainly cutting/engraving wood and perspex/acrylic

i can direct it to the roof, i have the ability to do this at my house, but are the fumes really that bad so people will start complaining?

thanx for your help

David Somers
07-19-2016, 1:04 PM
Alex,

I dont know the weather conditions you live in. But at my home in Seattle I usually have enough breeze to disperse any odors. I work mostly with wood, paper, and Acrylic and Polycarbonate. I think the worst thing in terms of odor is some PSA Veneer I work with. (self adhesive backed) I put two sheets together with the grain of each at 90 degrees to the other for strength....but the smell of the adhesive backing is strong. Not horrible, But a definate odor) The smell of the cast acrylic is not bad. Kind of a sweet smell actually. The polycarbonate is the least offensive. My neighbors are mostly at work during weekdays. And with the prevailing winds have said the odors and noise of the blower are barely noticeable. If I lived someplace that had calm, still, humid summers that might be a different story. In the fall/winter/spring people have their windows closed and then there is no issue at all. I do try to be considerate of my neighbors and choose the times I run the machine carefully to coincide with their absence when I can. Everyone seems OK with it so far, and I do check with them now and then to be sure I am not being a nuisance.

If you do need a filter to help reduce odors you might look at this post by Dan Hinz. He described how he built one at home for a pretty reasonable cost. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143725-DIY-air-filtration-unit-for-lt-200&highlight=Test
The commercially made ones are pretty pricey to my way of thinking. But the cost of replacement filter elements for these is even worse. Dan's setup uses mostly off the shelf stuff and the replacement charcoal and HEPA filters are more reasonable to buy. Look at that and see what the materials would cost you in SA.

One last thought on your fan. I had the ability to put my blower fan under my house which really reduces the noise level. It is barely noticeable in my shop or outside by the vent. And it is unnoticeable in the house because of the insulated flooring. If you cant do that you might build a box with sound insulation around the fan (but ventillated of course so it is not heating up) and use that reduce the noise level in your shop and to your neighbors. I would not bother with that though until you have actually heard it. Just plan on placing it where you could build a sound enclosure if you needed to, just in case.

David Somers
07-19-2016, 1:06 PM
Rodney!!!

I keep meaning to say......it has been really nice seeing you back on the forum more again! Missed you!!!

Dave

Rodne Gold
07-19-2016, 1:36 PM
Hiya Dave..yeh , it's good to see the old faces..I rekindled my laser wonderment when I got my fiber to play with...
Sadly , maybe only another week to mess around .. its got to leave my desk and go into the factory.
Ah well.. there is always 3d printing to contemplate :)

Alex Andjelkovic
07-20-2016, 3:37 AM
Alex,

I dont know the weather conditions you live in. But at my home in Seattle I usually have enough breeze to disperse any odors. I work mostly with wood, paper, and Acrylic and Polycarbonate. I think the worst thing in terms of odor is some PSA Veneer I work with. (self adhesive backed) I put two sheets together with the grain of each at 90 degrees to the other for strength....but the smell of the adhesive backing is strong. Not horrible, But a definate odor) The smell of the cast acrylic is not bad. Kind of a sweet smell actually. The polycarbonate is the least offensive. My neighbors are mostly at work during weekdays. And with the prevailing winds have said the odors and noise of the blower are barely noticeable. If I lived someplace that had calm, still, humid summers that might be a different story. In the fall/winter/spring people have their windows closed and then there is no issue at all. I do try to be considerate of my neighbors and choose the times I run the machine carefully to coincide with their absence when I can. Everyone seems OK with it so far, and I do check with them now and then to be sure I am not being a nuisance.

If you do need a filter to help reduce odors you might look at this post by Dan Hinz. He described how he built one at home for a pretty reasonable cost. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143725-DIY-air-filtration-unit-for-lt-200&highlight=Test
The commercially made ones are pretty pricey to my way of thinking. But the cost of replacement filter elements for these is even worse. Dan's setup uses mostly off the shelf stuff and the replacement charcoal and HEPA filters are more reasonable to buy. Look at that and see what the materials would cost you in SA.

One last thought on your fan. I had the ability to put my blower fan under my house which really reduces the noise level. It is barely noticeable in my shop or outside by the vent. And it is unnoticeable in the house because of the insulated flooring. If you cant do that you might build a box with sound insulation around the fan (but ventillated of course so it is not heating up) and use that reduce the noise level in your shop and to your neighbors. I would not bother with that though until you have actually heard it. Just plan on placing it where you could build a sound enclosure if you needed to, just in case.
Thanx David, really appreciated! will supply feedback once everything is up and running!