PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone project DONE....Thanks..

Marc Spagnuolo
09-25-2005, 4:45 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice on cyclones and DC in general. Here are a few pics to take a gander at. I went with the ClearVue unit and I am thrilled with the unit so far.

http://www.woodworking.org/imagepost/200509/sshopshots7large.jpg

http://www.woodworking.org/imagepost/200509/sshopshots8large.jpg

http://www.woodworking.org/imagepost/200509/shopshots15large.jpg

As you can see, I followed Dennis' plans for the remote control system. Works like a charm!!! Thanks Dennis!! Thanks for looking.

Marc

Keith Weber
09-25-2005, 5:09 PM
Looks good Marc!

What did you use for the ducting? PVC-Schedule 40? S&D? And where did you get it? I'm about to plumb my Gorilla but I haven't decided on what to use yet. I bought a bunch of 6" heavy PVC, but I think I'm going to return it and get something lighter like S&D. In my area, though, I can only find the ugly green S&D pipe.

Keith

Marc Spagnuolo
09-25-2005, 5:38 PM
I went with 6" S&D. After all the research, price comparisons, pros and cons, etc..., the S&D was the clear choice for me. I do prefer metal ducting, but I judt couldnt justify the cost for the good stuff.
I purchased it from a pvc pipe supplier I found in the yellow pages under Irrigation supply. Obviously, there is a bit more demand for irrigation in my area, so I found about 6 or 7 places after just a few phone calls. I got some of my fittings locally, but most came from http://www.mcmaster.com/

Hope that helps.

marc

Jim O'Dell
09-25-2005, 7:57 PM
Looks good, Marc. I can see the angle iron on the front, and I like the triangular gussetts on the sides for extra support, but on further inspection, I see you built an open topped box and mounted that to the wall with the bottom being the mounting plate? Or did you double up the bottom? Looks sturdy. How is the noise factor? Do you feel you are getting any sympathetic vibrations in the mounting wall causing noise to transmit from the wall? Looks like you have lots of head room in your shop! Jim.

Marc Spagnuolo
09-25-2005, 8:16 PM
Hey Jim. I actually simply followed the mounting instructions on the ClearVue website. Once it was assembled, I took a look at it and made some post-mounting modifications. The original design is just a 3/4" ply wall plate which the home-made L-brackets attach to. Once I had the whole thing assembled, I saw where there was potential weakness in the setup and thats where the steel strap comes in. I also took a 2x4 and reinforced the motor mounting place, as I already saw some bowing. I guess that's what makes it look like an open-top box.

I was a bit scared about the noise for a while, but that was before I hooked up the insulated pipe to the exhaust. Without it, this thing is scary loud!! With it, it is only slightly louder than my old PennState unit. There probably is some sympathetic vibration into the wall frame, but its hard to really detect. In fact I hadnt even thought about it until you just mentioned it. I did go to the neighbors property to see how loud it is and it just sounds like a shop vac from far away (with the garage doors open). Then again, I live in the middle of the desert and the sound is really dissipated even over short distances.

Norman Hitt
09-26-2005, 1:09 AM
Looks good Marc!

What did you use for the ducting? PVC-Schedule 40? S&D? And where did you get it? I'm about to plumb my Gorilla but I haven't decided on what to use yet. I bought a bunch of 6" heavy PVC, but I think I'm going to return it and get something lighter like S&D. In my area, though, I can only find the ugly green S&D pipe.

Keith

Keith, the "Green" is very easy to take care of. After you get the installation finished, just wipe the pipe down good with paint thinner to clean it (and remove most of the black lettering on the pipe, and then paint it with white spray paint, and it will Really Look nice. I think that is what Terry Hatfield did with his, and you can go to his site and see how nice it looks,......Much Better than unpainted white PVC pipe.

Jim Hinze
09-26-2005, 4:00 AM
Marc,

Cool installation. Everything looks very, very cool!

Keith Weber
09-26-2005, 6:24 AM
Keith, the "Green" is very easy to take care of. After you get the installation finished, just wipe the pipe down good with paint thinner to clean it (and remove most of the black lettering on the pipe, and then paint it with white spray paint, and it will Really Look nice. I think that is what Terry Hatfield did with his, and you can go to his site and see how nice it looks,......Much Better than unpainted white PVC pipe.

Norman,

I think I might end up trying that. Terry's setup does look nice!

Keith

Jeff Sudmeier
09-26-2005, 8:27 AM
Marc,

Great job on the cyclone!! Sure does look like you have some headroom in that shop! WOW!