PDA

View Full Version : Diy router insert. Out of wood?

Brian Sommers
07-18-2016, 9:58 PM
Any ideas out of wood?

Jamie Buxton
07-18-2016, 11:05 PM
You're going to have to be more specific. Are you trying to insert something into a router? Or are you trying to insert the router into something? Or are you maybe thinking about a router table which has a wood table?

pat warner
07-18-2016, 11:12 PM
Permanently? No.
Temporary to get things started: Yes

Brian Sommers
07-19-2016, 6:02 AM
So I might as well order the rockler one

insert to make a simple router table

glenn bradley
07-19-2016, 8:09 AM
Ah, a router plate to mount the router to and drop into a router table eh? Plan ahead when you buy. Your plate dimension and corner radius effect your future options. However, if you are shooting for simple this table may not be the one you upgrade to a lift in so the point may be moot. Aluminum would be my choice and Rockler plates work fine.

Rich Engelhardt
07-21-2016, 2:12 AM
So I might as well order the rockler oneThat's what I did......then later on when I upgraded the router (from a Freud 1700 2.75 HP to a Milwaukee 5625 3.5 HP), I upgraded the plate & rings to a Woodpeckers (http://www.woodpeck.com/aluminsert.html).
Night/day difference.
The Woodpeckers was costly, but, man is it nice!

Greg Hines, MD
07-21-2016, 3:25 PM
My first router table was a piece of plywood, routed out to accept the base, and screwed to the underside. Initially, I would clamp the board to the front of my workbench. Eventually, I made legs. And sometime after that, I built one with a Rousseau phenolic plate that I use now. For a starter, it worked just fine.

Doc