PDA

View Full Version : For those that use the West systems epoxy...

Keith Downing
07-18-2016, 4:02 PM
Is the 105 with the 205 hardener acceptable for basic wood applications? Will it look alright as a final coat or will it be hazy?

Picked this brand after some suggestions on another thread to cover a high traffic drink rail and was originally only told about the 205 and 206 hardeners.

Wasn't until I got the product (nearly $200 worth) that I even found out there was a 207 hardener for furniture "clear" applications. Is that what I need to re-order, or will this work if I apply it in just a couple thin coats?

Wayne Lomman
07-19-2016, 5:51 AM
Keith, having spent $200 I would want to be sure it works. I would therefore spend a bit extra and get the 207 hardener. This has been a serious problem for you and you don't need to take another gamble. That being said, you could phone West and ask a tech guy if there is any way the 205 will work satisfactorily. Cheers

Andrew Helman
07-19-2016, 8:56 PM
The 205 is a little amber compared to 207. I noticed that the end of the container was more amber than the beginning of it but am not sure if that would be likely to happen with the 205. I've used the 207 in wood projects to fill very substantial voids. It is indistinguishable under an oil varnish. I don't know the details of your project and have not used it as a topcoat.