PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Belt Recommendation

Rich Riddle
07-17-2016, 3:36 PM
A friend wants a segmented belt and mentioned Harbor Freight. I didn't know they sold them or anything about the quality. I typically use green belts for tools. What do you folks recommend?

Jerome Stanek
07-17-2016, 4:43 PM
On another forum I read that they have had good results with the Harbor Freight belts. They also s have a good return policy

Bruce Wrenn
07-18-2016, 10:22 PM
Link belts come from two sources, as far as I know. Fenner (the red ones) and the green ones, sold by HF. Sorry I can't remember the name. Both are made in USA. Have used both, with equal results. Prefer the green ones due to pricing.

Kevin McCluney
07-19-2016, 4:45 PM
I learned a lesson about the link belts and that is it's a good idea to stretch it before installation. I put one on my band saw nice and tight, but after a while noticed the blade nearly stopping while sawing. It turned out that the links had seated themselves a little more after installation, resulting in a loose belt. A readjusting of the motor to tighten the belt corrected the issue, which in retrospect I should have known would occur.

Garth Almgren
07-19-2016, 5:19 PM
A friend wants a segmented belt and mentioned Harbor Freight. I didn't know they sold them or anything about the quality. I typically use green belts for tools. What do you folks recommend?
Those green belts are made by Accu-Link and are the same ones sold at HF. $30 for 5', though it's not hard to find a 20% or 25% off coupon to use.

I have them on my table saw and drill press, and they work fine though the belt is a little squeaky when turning off the DP and I'm not entirely sure why - could just be junk on the pullies.

Rich Riddle
07-19-2016, 6:02 PM
Thanks for the information. I just passed it on to my friend.

Curt Harms
07-21-2016, 9:35 AM
Why does your friend want link belts? If to reduce set/vibration, how about an AX/cogged belt instead? They seem to have the same 'don't take a set' characteristic and can be quieter & cheaper than link belts. If getting a new cogged belt on requires a bunch of disassembly then link belt is likely the way to go.

first thing in Google (http://www.vbelts4less.com/Classic-Cogged-AXBXCX-V-Belts_c_8.html)

Warren Lake
07-21-2016, 10:32 AM
if cog belts are the ones with a ton of little cuts on the inside then ive found them to be very good. Ive rried Link belts and they worked fine and did not stretch for me however i have two shapers that turn effortlessly compared to my other V belt ones and saws. They seem to have no memory and no resistance compared to regular V belts. I have one supplier who sends me regular V belts matched sets for my saw and ive mentioned the other belts but he ignores me so next time ill find them. the new belts he sents are very high quality but I find them stiff and think they introduce some drag at least by hand turning, no where as smooth or resistance free as the belts with the cut. Ive still never burned one of those out either.

lowell holmes
07-21-2016, 10:33 AM
I bought my cogged at the local auto parts store. I know their quality is good.

I replaced a link belt on me table saw several years ago with a segmented belt. I don't expect it to fail any time soon.

Automotive belts are rated for more horsepower than cheap belts.

Take your old belt to the auto parts store and they can measure it and provide a proper belt. I have cogged belts on my tables saw as well as my shaper.

Warren Lake
07-21-2016, 11:02 AM
here are the two brands and both are excellent.