PDA

View Full Version : Welding helmet filters - all settings are safe

Stephen Tashiro
07-17-2016, 12:35 AM
I find this interesting question-and-answer on the Lincoln Electric website

Q: What is the correct lens shade to use in my welding helmet to properly protect my eyes?

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/education-center/PublishingImages/ArticleImages/a00004683.jpg

A: Many people mistakenly think that the lens shade number corresponds to the amount of protection that is provided to the eyes and hence the higher the number, the better the protection. But in reality, all well-constructed quality welding lenses, have a screen that filters out 100 percent of the harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) wavelengths and provides protection to the eyes.

If true, that's a relief. I've always been afraid to adjust the filter so that I could actually see what I was doing.

Mac McQuinn
07-17-2016, 2:03 PM
I've been welding since the early 1970's and use the minimal darkness filter available at the nearby welding supplier. On top of that I've been using a magnifier for close up puddle work for the last (15) years. I never changed to the "auto" lens darkening helmets/hoods, I'm hesitant to accept/trust the technology at this point. I still use an old school hood w/ large window, the large window allows me to rotate my head to see through the bottom of my progressive lens glasses. I've found this works best for me in out of position and over head welding.
Mac

Tom M King
07-17-2016, 2:45 PM
I don't normally wear glasses, but when I'm welding something with small welds, I wear cheap 2x readers so I can get my face up close so the weld pool takes a larger part of the field of view. It works fine but when someone asks me a question, and I turn around and flip the hood up to answer, I almost fall over. I bought a cheap (50 buck)auto-darkening hood from Northern just to see how I liked it, and never went back to using a regular one.

Rod Sheridan
07-18-2016, 8:32 AM
Hi, I use 8, 10 and 11 depending upon the brightness of the operation...............Regards, Rod.