PDA

View Full Version : Portable 20 watt Fiber Laser on eBay

Bill George
07-16-2016, 8:14 PM
So people who know Fiber lasers is this something that "could" work and be of some value? Sorry I tried to edit out the part that makes it a hot link to eBay but it did not work.

Newest-20W-Desktop-Potable-Mini-Fiber-Laser-Making-Machine-Engraver-Maker-/151940481680?fromMakeTrack=true

Gary Hair
07-16-2016, 10:15 PM
I can't imagine what could possibly go wrong with a laser on eBay...

Dave Sheldrake
07-17-2016, 6:05 AM
The M^2 isn't great but more than good enough to run normal home/light business parts Bill, likely IPG or Raycus source rather than the better western made versions. There's a bit more to the way fibre works compared to a CO2 and the power differences aren't so important unless you plan on cutting stuff.

Julian Ashcroft
07-17-2016, 7:55 AM
I've decided to buy one of these fiber lasers. I contacted a seller on eBay, they told me to buy direct from their website as it was £500.00 cheaper. With air shipping it came to £3,750.00 plus whatever duty and VAT get put on top for a 20w version. Hopefully it will be here in the next week.

Bill George
07-17-2016, 12:28 PM
I've decided to buy one of these fiber lasers. I contacted a seller on eBay, they told me to buy direct from their website as it was £500.00 cheaper. With air shipping it came to £3,750.00 plus whatever duty and VAT get put on top for a 20w version. Hopefully it will be here in the next week.

The really, really big issue is warranty and does it work? Will it do a good job and buying off of Ebay you have zero warranty or recourse. Is a 20 watt assuming it works, large enough to work to say for engraving jewelry tags, nameplates and AR15 Receivers which I get a lot of inquiries about.

Julian Ashcroft
07-17-2016, 1:10 PM
Warranty was one of the questions I asked about. I was told it has a three year warranty. I'm under no illusion that warranties from companies located in China are probably not worth much and I could have my fingers burnt.

Rodne Gold
07-17-2016, 4:12 PM
I checked on e-bay.. all similar to the 20w I bought for more or less the same price.. mine works brilliantly
They all seem to use the same parts , all use the same software (ezcad)
IMO a bargain for the money in laser terms
1 of these for $5k , a decent glass tubed machine $5k . $10k..in all..You can now take on just about any job..

I am considering a 3m x 1.5m (9' x6') large scale cutter with a 1kw fiber source.. price will be $40k or so ..$40k isnt money for a machine of this ilk..

Dave Sheldrake
07-17-2016, 6:08 PM
I checked on e-bay.. all similar to the 20w I bought for more or less the same price.. mine works brilliantly
They all seem to use the same parts , all use the same software (ezcad)
IMO a bargain for the money in laser terms
1 of these for $5k , a decent glass tubed machine $5k . $10k..in all..You can now take on just about any job..

I am considering a 3m x 1.5m (9' x6') large scale cutter with a 1kw fiber source.. price will be $40k or so ..$40k isnt money for a machine of this ilk..

Got two coming in shortly Rod, try to go 1.5 or 2kw if you can go there.The 500/600 and the 1k is running at it's limit on 3mm +/- and uses quite a bit of gas when you are stuck with 220 psi. I have a manifold set up for mine and even then it's usually only 10 days to 2 weeks before it needs refilling

Rodne Gold
07-18-2016, 1:38 AM
Dave, I dont actually have the work for a serious laser metal cutter so cant really afford to go 2kw + .. plenty guys out here doing heavy duty cutting , but very few doing "thin" cutting which is the market I wanty to explore.. I can use the machine internally for signage and most of my products like trophies and awards

I would like to do 3mm aluminium .. which I believe the 1kw wont do .. but in reality most of my stuff is under 2mm.
I was enquiring about mounting a CO2 source as well , so that I can cut acrylic and wood .. doesnt seem possible according to the chinese
At any rate.. it won't be this year .. maybe early next -- its a 10 000 lb machine!!!! Shipping wont be cheap

Dave Sheldrake
07-18-2016, 6:35 AM
Dave, I dont actually have the work for a serious laser metal cutter so cant really afford to go 2kw + .. plenty guys out here doing heavy duty cutting , but very few doing "thin" cutting which is the market I wanty to explore.. I can use the machine internally for signage and most of my products like trophies and awards

I would like to do 3mm aluminium .. which I believe the 1kw wont do .. but in reality most of my stuff is under 2mm.
I was enquiring about mounting a CO2 source as well , so that I can cut acrylic and wood .. doesnt seem possible according to the chinese
At any rate.. it won't be this year .. maybe early next -- its a 10 000 lb machine!!!! Shipping wont be cheap

True, the fibre itself terminates just above the final lens (lens is not compatible with the 10,640 wavelength) so you would have to find a way to get the beam to the head as there are no mirrors :)

a K will do 2mm without too much trouble and the big advantage is being able to do shimstock brass and copper (0.5mm stuff) for the jewellery makers :)

Ally is a nightmare...even on 7.5K it still restricted to 8mm or so on my CO2 but a 5K fibre will match the bigger co2 for most metals.

even the 1k is amazingly fast on metals :)