PDA

View Full Version : Another heavy tool deal - Loading challenges expected and need advise

Mike Heidrick
07-16-2016, 7:31 PM
Found another cnc lathe deal since my last one got damaged in shipping so soon I need to make a 650 mile trip to pickup a Birmingham 1236 metal lathe. It has been converted to CNC so it weighs slightly less than a full gear head lathe but still ~1000lbs. I want to put it in the bed of my Nissan Titan King cab (think extended cab).

My challenge - The place I am buying it from does not have a roll up door at ground height - only semi docks.

My plan is to haul the lathe off the stand on a pallet in the bed of my truck.

So my choices are
1. Roll it out a front pedestrian door and load it in my truck but without the use of their fork truck

2. Lower it off the dock into the bed of my truck with straps and a fork truck.

Any advice on how to load it safely in either of the two methods above?

Third option is to pay for freight but I am dealing with a freight damaged lathe right now and really do not want to risk another deal.

They look like this:

http://www.microkinetics.com/lathe1236/_imagesRollover/1236_lathe2.jpg

Myk Rian
07-16-2016, 10:14 PM
#2, or rent a U-haul trailer when you get there?

Bradley Gray
07-17-2016, 4:03 AM
I like #2. Could you take a ramp and a dolly and lower it that way?

Scott T Smith
07-17-2016, 5:02 AM
Mike, this should be able to be loaded rather easily by backing your truck up to their loading dock. Find out if they have a fork extension for their forklift. If so, take some straps so that they can pick the lathe up from above using the extension on the forklift, and have them set it in the back of your truck.

If they don't have fork extensions, see if you can pick up an 8' or so length of rectangular tubing - around 2" x 6" and .250 wall. Chain it on top of one of their forks at both the front and rear of the fork and use it to pick the lathe up by straps to set it down into your truck bed.

You can use an engine hoist to remove it once you're home.

Mike Heidrick
07-17-2016, 8:20 AM
I have a tractor with loader to unload it at home. Ill check on the extensions. In fact if they dont have any maybe I will just make one and bring it. Laminating some 2X6s will work.

Jerome Stanek
07-17-2016, 11:25 AM
or when you get there rent a set

Ronald Blue
07-17-2016, 2:59 PM
If it's much of a plant at all they may have a cherry picker attachment that goes right over the forks and extends out 6'-8'. If not the home made extension will work fine slid over the fork. You might take something to use in case there are any sharp edges to protect the lifting straps from being cut. Also to protect the tie down straps once loaded. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Tom M King
07-17-2016, 3:55 PM
I have made a pallet specifically for a machine on site, levered and blocked the machine up onto it, and had it loaded with a forklift that otherwise couldn't handle it.

Rich Riddle
07-17-2016, 6:53 PM
I use a set of aluminum truck ramps on which I place a 3/4" piece of plywood. If you have the solid aluminum ones, you don't need the plywood. Most are rated at 1500 pounds or more. You set the one side on the dock and the other side in the back of your truck.

rudy de haas
07-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Assuming they have a forklift that can go outside (or that you can rent one there - electrics are nice, but manual hydraulic pallet movers work too)

1) build a pallet base for the thing that's designed to let you strap it down properly in your truck. The last thing you need is having it come forward during an unexpected stop from higher speeds.

2) lever it onto the pallet in their shop

3) forklift it to the loading dock

4) take the forklift outside, lift the unit off the dock and onto your truck

Note: tie downs are critical. Even a 1000 pound object pushed as far forward as possible on your loadbed, is heavy enough to radically alter your truck's on road behavior - braking and turning can quickly become adventures you'd rather not have.

Daniel O'Neill
07-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Sounds like lowering into your truck would be the easiest. You wouldn't even have to drop the tailgate. You could use binder straps to tweak the placement and you're above mentioned tractor can get it out when you get home. Additionally if you let them know that this is your method they might be willing to get some of the prep work done to sell the machine and it would be as simple as dropping it in the truck and then you pull over to the parking lot and tie it down and go.

Brian W Smith
07-18-2016, 2:01 PM
Am sure you realize how much good advice is above....

But all of this/that figures into how good of a deal this pce is.With experience comes an advantage.

Good luck with your project.