PDA

View Full Version : Weather as News

Vaughn McMillan
09-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Obviously, the weather has been in the news a lot lately. (As bad as Rita has been, thank goodness it was not worse.) One downside of all this is the talking heads on the news shows trying to sound intelligent when they actually have no idea what they're saying.

My case in point: I'm working in my home office, with the TV feed on one of my screens, and have CNN on as background noise. I just heard Larry King discussing the tornados that are currently popping up as part of the Rita aftermath. Larry asked one of his AccuWeather correspondants:

"Chad, are those, uh, tornados a natural occurrence?"

I had to rewind the TiVo because I couldn't believe my ears. Did he really ask if the tornados are a natural occurrence? Yep, he did.

I'd like to have been the AccuWeather guy..."No Larry, we're pretty certain they're the result of a mad scientist somewhere in North Dakota. We're using the Dopler 9000XLR Plus Radar right now to track him down". What he actually said was emphatic, and nearly as ridiculous..."They are. They are a natural occurrence. These little storms that come onshore actually have spin with them".

Looks like Larry's suspenders are starting to put too much pressure on his brain. :rolleyes:

- Vaughn

Dennis Peacock
09-25-2005, 7:46 AM
I hear ya Vaughn....Sad isn't it?

With all that said? We had 5 tornado's in our state just late yesterday / last night. We didn't have one very close to our house but we did have a micro-burst and we got our Oak tree in the front automatically pruned by the storm. :eek: I hate that as the tree is about 175 year old as estimated by the Forrestry Service. Now it is suffering more of life's battle wounds.

Randy Davidson
09-25-2005, 8:11 AM
Yep, was kind of a restless night. I live on a mountain not too far from Conway and also received some of the high winds. Slept out on my screened porch last night and heard timber falling in the woods several times. Guess it's mother natures way of cleaning up.

Randy Davidson