PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 17in G0636X on its way

Robin Frierson
07-16-2016, 1:07 PM
Looks like my bandsaw will be arriving this Tues or Wed. I had planned all along to go with the MM but changed my mind in the last couple days and am going with the Grizz. On paper looks like I am getting more saw for less money. Delivered the Grizz was $800 cheaper than the MM16. Seems like the Grizz reviews are positive so we shall see. Having owned a MM before, will be able to see how the two compare.

Initial challenge will be getting it in the garage shop. Crate is 88in and opening is 82in. I talked to the driver last time he was here and he thinks a dolley with straps should allow us to tip it and get it in. I am hoping he will stick around long enough to help me get it off the pallet. Have ordered the Shop Fox mobile and am thinking put it on with machine already on the floor?? Without a lifting device may be difficult to go from pallet into assembled mobile base?

Have ordered 162in Lennox Woodmaster 1in carbide for the resaw blade.

Anyone with tips on delivery or set up?

John TenEyck
07-16-2016, 1:15 PM
My friend has that machine, Robin, and it is a beast. Very well made, runs very smoothly, and eats wood. With that blade you are getting it will gobble up anything you can throw into it. I'm in the same situation as you, and the Grizzly just looks like more saw for substantially less money compared to the Euro imports.

My friend, who's almost 74, had no trouble with the help of a friend tipping the machine to get the mobile base under it. I think he slide it off the pallet onto the floor and then tipped it to get the mobile base under it but I could be wrong and there could be other ways, too. I think it will just sneak under a standard doorway once it's on the mobile base.

Let us know your impressions after you get the saw. If I get one it has to go down into my basement shop! Your situation sounds infinitely easier.

John

Sam Blanchard
08-06-2016, 5:44 PM
Would love to have an update, Robin. Let us know how the install went, how you like the saw, etc.

Rich Riddle
08-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Why not uncrate it outside and slide it in the shop? The specs state this is 78" tall and you have 82" of clearance. It saves the dangers of tipping a beast this size. Will this saw be mobile or stationary? Congratulations on your purchase.