PDA

View Full Version : Black & Green

Roger Chandler
07-15-2016, 10:19 PM
Impromptu - Black & Green

This is a bit different. Sort of design on the fly without any previous plan in mind....Why I call it impromptu. I posted the roughout on this a while back, but had not decided on how I wanted to finish it out.....so here is the whole story......

I had this piece of poplar, that I had gotten at a club meeting, and it was freshly cut by someone and wet. Started cracking before I made the 40 mile trip back home. So, before I lost it completely, I stabilized the cracks with CA glue and put it on the lathe a couple of days later. No idea what to do with the blank but did not want to lose it.
I began to turn a tenon on one end, and decided that a combination of square edges and some turned down corners might be interesting to investigate, so here is what I did. Being as it is poplar, and had a smidgen of spalting on one side, I felt like the thing needed something to bring it to life. I had some Artisan dyes on hand, but had never used them, so this was a candidate to try them out.

Wouldn't you know, while the dyeing process was going on, it slipped out of my hands, and it now has two dents in it from hitting the stand on my midi lathe......bummer! So, I realize it is not perfect, but I think interesting anyway. The facets were stained black, sanded back, and green dye added on top of it. The inside is natural color of the poplar. 8.75" tall and 5.5" wide [at the square]
Something different for me, at least.

340806 340807

This is not finished completely. I will sand back a bit with 800 grit and apply a couple more coats of the Woodturners Finish, and sand away that bleed of the green dye on the inside lip, and apply another coat to the inside as well. Comments always welcome! :)

Allan Ferguson
07-15-2016, 10:32 PM
Fun to explore new territory. Looking good .

robert baccus
07-15-2016, 10:36 PM
Very unique and pretty especially for poplar.

Gary Baler
07-16-2016, 6:06 AM
Pretty cool Roger. I like the colors, the flat sides and the overall look. Good creativity.

David Delo
07-16-2016, 7:58 AM
You're quite the R-Tist Roger. Cool looking piece.

Don Jarvie
07-16-2016, 9:33 AM
Very nice Roger. How did you dye the green so it didn't bleed into the black?

Roger Chandler
07-16-2016, 10:05 AM
Very nice Roger. How did you dye the green so it didn't bleed into the black?I used a pre-color conditioner [also known as blotch control. From Charles Neil, which seals the end grain and yet will allow stains and dyes to take.
https://charlesneilwoodworking.3dcartstores.com/Charles-Neils-Pre-Color-Conditioner--Blotch-Control_p_47.html

The whole thing was dyed black first, then the facets sanded back and then green applied.

daryl moses
07-16-2016, 1:06 PM
Interesting piece Roger. Poplar is pretty plain unless it's spalted. I think the color looks great.

Roger Chandler
07-16-2016, 4:32 PM
You're quite the R-Tist Roger. Cool looking piece.

R-teeest? :o Well, muchos gracias, David!

Martin Drummond
07-16-2016, 4:44 PM
looks very nice
Impromptu - Black & Green

This is a bit different. Sort of design on the fly without any previous plan in mind....Why I call it impromptu. I posted the roughout on this a while back, but had not decided on how I wanted to finish it out.....so here is the whole story......

I had this piece of poplar, that I had gotten at a club meeting, and it was freshly cut by someone and wet. Started cracking before I made the 40 mile trip back home. So, before I lost it completely, I stabilized the cracks with CA glue and put it on the lathe a couple of days later. No idea what to do with the blank but did not want to lose it.
I began to turn a tenon on one end, and decided that a combination of square edges and some turned down corners might be interesting to investigate, so here is what I did. Being as it is poplar, and had a smidgen of spalting on one side, I felt like the thing needed something to bring it to life. I had some Artisan dyes on hand, but had never used them, so this was a candidate to try them out.

Wouldn't you know, while the dyeing process was going on, it slipped out of my hands, and it now has two dents in it from hitting the stand on my midi lathe......bummer! So, I realize it is not perfect, but I think interesting anyway. The facets were stained black, sanded back, and green dye added on top of it. The inside is natural color of the poplar. 8.75" tall and 5.5" wide [at the square]
Something different for me, at least.

340806 340807

This is not finished completely. I will sand back a bit with 800 grit and apply a couple more coats of the Woodturners Finish, and sand away that bleed of the green dye on the inside lip, and apply another coat to the inside as well. Comments always welcome! :)