PDA

View Full Version : Pro Sharp Spectrum by Geiger's Solutions

Steve Mathews
07-15-2016, 7:09 PM
Has anyone tried the Pro Sharp Spectrum by Geiger's Solutions? It has one advantage applicable to my needs over just using the Oneway Wolverine Jig - It requires a distance of 7 1/4" from the grinding wheel center to the bottom of the Wolverine base as opposed to 6 1/4" - 6 1/2". I am trying to use a Jet 10" industrial grinder but the guards will not fit with the later dimension. The setup that I'm attempting to put together consists of 2 - 8" CBN steel wheels, 80 and 180 grit and weigh combined very close to 11 lbs as opposed to a little less than 9 lbs. for the 10" standard wheels. I'm thinking the 1 1/2 hp Jet motor is a better match for the heavier CBN wheels than the 1/2 hp motor on other grinders. Back to Pro Sharp Spectrum. I don't see a platform in the system that allows other types of grinding.

Brice Rogers
07-15-2016, 7:34 PM
I did an experiment where I changed the distance from the wheel to the sharpening base. Simultaneously, I adjusted the "stick-out" or overhang of the tool versus the distance to the base, trying to keep the front angle the same (in my case IIRC I was shooting for a 65 degree angle). I was surprised that I could easily compensate for different base positions by adjusting the "stick out". I went from around 5-3/4 inches all the way to 7" and adjusted for the difference with the "stick out". I also looked at the wing for various combinations. I really didn't see any discernible difference.

The Ellsworth jig uses either a 7" or a 7-1/4 inch position and something between 1-3/4 and 2-1/4 inch "stick out". Look on line for the numbers.

The most important thing with a sharpening jig is that it is 100% repeatible. You can easily make your own out of PVC, steel, or wood. It isn't magic.