PDA

View Full Version : Sheet metal bending tools

Stephen Tashiro
07-15-2016, 12:22 PM
What sheet metal bending tool do professional metal workers use when they must make a bend that is perpendicular to another bed that has already been made ?

For example, I have a sheet metal bending brake and I if were making a square pan, I could use the brake to make the bends for two parallel sides of the pan. But after that was done, I couldn't turn the work 90 degrees and use the brake make the bends for the other two sides. Are there special bending brakes that handle such situations ? - something like a brake that has one pivoting jaw and some sort of straightedge with an adjustable length that comes down to clamp the work without damaging the bends that have already been made ?

Tommy Godwin
07-15-2016, 1:16 PM
a box and pan brake. adjustable top dies.

Keith Outten
07-15-2016, 2:16 PM
My sheet metal brake uses a magnet instead of the more traditional clamping style machines. I can use any material made from iron of any size so the machine will bend all of the bends on a box...even very small boxes by simply using small steel plates. If you use a round bar you can bend an "S" curve.

Baleigh has a video of this machine bending a small pyramid on their web site.

Stephen Tashiro
07-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Baleigh has a video of this machine bending a small pyramid on their web site.

Thank you. The video makes things clear. Its "Baileigh BB-4816M Magnetic Box and Pan Brake Sheet Metal Bending Machine" on Youtube.

Keith Outten
07-17-2016, 8:24 AM
Yes, this is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvMW1Zxoyc

This link provides more detail about how the machine works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQruDJcH3g

Brian W Smith
07-18-2016, 1:03 PM
Get on the bay and start your education.

Box/pan brakes as posted above.Learn of their gage capacities.Then proceed into press brakes.What do they have in common?How are they different?How does a finger brake differ from a pan?

It's all there.Once that part of your learning is done,google foo early 20th cent books on sheet metal.Some of which are currently back in publication.The math involved will make your head spin at first.But with persistence,and a few hand tools for reference,you'll come out a much better mechanic.

What's funny is what was once considered basic trade knowledge is now in the realm of extended college money.Just sayin.

Another,layout work,knows no bounds.So while this thread may seem to be about sheet metal...OMG,you poor thing.