PDA

View Full Version : "Antiquity"

Steve Doerr
07-14-2016, 11:47 PM
"Antiquity"
This is from a piece of cherry burl. I turned it when it was still wet, soaked it in DNA for about 3 days, and then let it dry in a brown paper bag. As a result, it obtained a few cracks. What I really like thou are the irregularities on the surface of the wood as it dried. Unfortunately, they really don't show up in the picture. I purposely kept the finish flat as I think it gives it a look of a piece of antiquity. (Thus the name.) The bottom of the platter has an ogee curve. It is 16 3/4"w x 3"h.

daryl moses
07-15-2016, 7:34 AM
I bet that was a challenge to turn! Very nice piece, great job!!

Robert Marshall
07-15-2016, 10:03 AM
I like it!

Did you do anything as the cracks developed, to stabilize the wood? I don't see any cracks that really detract from the piece.

brian zawatsky
07-15-2016, 3:08 PM
I really like the little bead you turned right at the inside edge of the bowl rim. I haven't dared to attempt one yet lol

David Delo
07-15-2016, 4:45 PM
Quite a piece Steve. Congrats to you on an outstanding job on a pretty large piece.

Steve Doerr
07-16-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. They are greatly appreciated.

Robert--when I started turning this piece the only crack that was there I filled with turquoise (you can see it at the 2 o'clock setting). All of the other cracks developed during the drying process.

Brian--the trick I used on putting in the bead was to place the bead on the platter and then turn out the inside. That way you can determine how close or how far you want the bead from the edge.

Martin Drummond
07-16-2016, 4:47 PM
looks great, lovely work