PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1023RL or G1023RLW?

Patrick Whitehorn
07-14-2016, 2:28 PM
Despite constantly cruising Craigslist for a Unisaw or other used TS, I am very seriously considering the Grizzly G1023RL/RLW. The RL is currently (until the end of July) on sale for $75 off, but Grizzly will not discount the RLW down to the normal difference between the two saws ($45). I would hate to miss the sale if the general consensus is that the RLW's router table is simply not worth the trouble. Can anyone help me out with their thoughts/opinions, especially if they have an RLW, please?

Thanks!

Bruce Page
07-14-2016, 3:03 PM
I think it depends on your shop setup. I have 2 routers set up in my Unisaw. For me, it's a great space saver because I don’t have the space for a stand-alone router table. When it's all said & done, the money difference/savings is soon forgotton.

David Helm
07-14-2016, 3:56 PM
I have the 1023 RLX. Extended length with self installed router table. I think the cast iron router table may limit router size and/or lifts.

Robin Frierson
07-14-2016, 5:27 PM
I purchased the G1023RLWX about a month ago and love it. I didnt expect much of the cast iron router wing except it would add 8 more inches of cast iron than a regular wing to the top and you got the two legs. I was pleasantly surprised that it works great. My Triton router fit the T-slots underneath perfectly and slid right in the router table. They have a universal type bracket but it wasnt necessary in my case. It mounted dead center of the hole and I can easily change bits above the table with one wrench.

I also like using the router from the side, its easier to get to. I never did like those router plates and here you get a cast iron router wing on the cheap. Of course you cant use a lift with it and will need to add a fence for embedded work. But I am very happy with the set up. I moved the rail over one bolt hole and now have 36 1/2 inch rip capacity and a 5hp motor.

Patrick Whitehorn
07-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Bruce,
I am not sure that I have space for a separate router table, either - that is why this one (G1023RLW) is so appealing to me. That, coupled with the fact that I get a heavy-duty table (cast-iron) for the router ... it seems like a good setup, to me. Did you bore your own holes in an add-on table or is there a Delta side-table that has a router hole in it already?

Thanks!

Bruce Page
07-15-2016, 1:13 PM
Patrick, I have a Benchdog set up on the left and a Woodhaven crosscut table on the right.

As you can see from the pic, it's a little crowded in there. :rolleyes:

Patrick Whitehorn
07-15-2016, 3:49 PM
Bruce,
That is a nice setup - I can only hope to match that in the future. Thanks!

Jason White
07-15-2016, 4:44 PM
I had one. The router table wing gives the saw a bigger cast-iron table and more mass. Worth it even if you don't think you'll use the router table. That said, I used it as a router table and liked it. I threw away the clips that hold the router and just drilled holes and counterbores in the cast-iron top and screwed the router right to it. Easy and worked great!

Bruce Page
07-15-2016, 4:58 PM
Bruce,
That is a nice setup - I can only hope to match that in the future. Thanks!
None of it happened overnight - you've got time!

scott spencer
07-15-2016, 8:56 PM
...The router table wing gives the saw a bigger cast-iron table and more mass. Worth it even if you don't think you'll use the router table. ...

My thoughts exactly. Never hurts to have a few more inches of cast iron surface.