PDA

View Full Version : Some people get lucky

Bob Bergstrom
07-13-2016, 10:30 PM
A friend of mine answered a email posted to his turning club concerning apowermatic 3520 with a 18" extension for $1900. It is 7 years old and in storage for the last 5 years. The paint is still on the tool rest. Estimated at less than 50 hours use. He'll pick it up next week. I'm not sure the guy selling knew which end the headstock belonged on? The club has 150 members and he was told by the seller that he was the only one that called about it.

Curtis Myers
07-14-2016, 4:34 AM
Nice score.

Mike Goetzke
07-14-2016, 8:23 AM
Nice find for your friend Bob. Hopefully the PM logo is on the other side of the lathe?

Mike

Randy Red Bemont
07-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Sweet deal and laughing about the headstock.

Red

Roger Chandler
07-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Based on the limited usage of this lathe, the price, and the configuration of the headstock/bed extension.........I would almost venture a guess that the owner did not really understand what they had.......perhaps they did, and just getting it out of the way was the priority. I wish a deal like that had come along for me last year.........While I really am happy with my G0766, a deal like that with the bed extension would have been too good to pass up!

Bob, your friend really got a sweet machine for a bargain!

Don Bunce
07-14-2016, 2:40 PM
Laugh if you want, but I have the extension on mine mounted on the headstock end also, although on the lower position. Due to where my lathe is positioned, (Right handed lathe in a left handed shop) it is easier to rotate the headstock 180 deg for outboard turning that to move the entire lathe.

A chainfall and Unistrut trolley make it easy to pick up the headstock and rotate it. Also easy to lift heavy pieces onto the lathe without hurting the back.

Thomas Canfield
07-14-2016, 10:52 PM
Neat deal. About the same age as mine which looks a lot different with sap and other use. I am not sure how well the casters would work with big unbalanced work and like mine sitting solid on floor. Happy turning.

Bob Bergstrom
07-14-2016, 11:56 PM
The big plus is that the buyer needs to keep it at our turning club's workshop till he completes his shop. At the rate he is going, it may tak a few years. We will break it in for him. We will ha a matched set of 3520s and two big jet lathes.