PDA

View Full Version : Custom bandsaw guides

jack forsberg
07-13-2016, 11:43 AM
Can't imagine why manufactures haven't done this yet. Mine are made of Ampco 18 bearings bronze and Cocobolo rosewood .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQvnGgZUKxE

Bradley Gray
07-13-2016, 2:44 PM
Nicely done Jack!

I may borrow your method for my 32" crescent.

The lower guides on my saw are several inches below the table and your guides would really tighten things up.

Howard Pollack
07-13-2016, 11:20 PM
A great idea. Thanks.
Howard

Allan Speers
07-14-2016, 12:53 AM
Jack, Am I correct in assuming this replaces your lower guides?

If so, what happens when you need to adjust them for a different blade thickness? Well, I guess you could make one for each blade.

Hmm, this is interesting.

jack forsberg
07-14-2016, 7:57 AM
Jack, Am I correct in assuming this replaces your lower guides?

If so, what happens when you need to adjust them for a different blade thickness? Well, I guess you could make one for each blade.

Hmm, this is interesting.
No this doesn't replace the lower guides . This just gives blade support right at table . Generally guides on most bandsaws are well below the table surface because of the trunnion system . Different blade are fairly simple because they always ride in the centre of the tires and all that is necessary is to sand/grind the leading edge for tooth sets . You see that you in the pictures To be honest though the 30" saw only ever sees a three-quarter and half-inch blade . Also this sans never sees the table tip that would require some undercutting which I show on the drawing below . I much prefer the ship saw for angle cuts but the guild can be removed as you see very easily

Curt Harms
07-15-2016, 8:46 AM
Now THAT is clever! Pretty too.

John K Jordan
07-15-2016, 9:11 AM
I liked your idea but also wondered about the issue with different blades. But then I remembered I've been sticking with 1/2" blades on my 18" bandsaw. I may make one of these as soon as I finish my current project - restoring an older milling milling machine.

I wonder how lignum vitae would hold up for the guides instead of the bronze. I've used it to make several things and it is strong, easy to machine, and self-lubricating. (And I already have it on my shelf.)

JKJ

Matt Day
07-15-2016, 10:23 AM
That's a very slick idea and well executed (and good looking to boot!). What's the diameter of your throat plate?

jack forsberg
07-15-2016, 12:22 PM
That's a very slick idea and well executed (and good looking to boot!). What's the diameter of your throat plate?
That one is 4 inch but the other three bandsaws are 2 1/2 inch and that's with the drawing shows so this'll typically fit on any type .

jack forsberg
07-15-2016, 12:27 PM
I liked your idea but also wondered about the issue with different blades. But then I remembered I've been sticking with 1/2" blades on my 18" bandsaw. I may make one of these as soon as I finish my current project - restoring an older milling milling machine.

I wonder how lignum vitae would hold up for the guides instead of the bronze. I've used it to make several things and it is strong, easy to machine, and self-lubricating. (And I already have it on my shelf.)

JKJ
you do have a hard time beating Ampco 18 bearing bronzes . To give you the idea of how well the wearing properties are of this bronze it took me an hour to cut that blanks on the bandsaw . So even the cutting teeth on the bandsaw had a hard time wearing it away