PDA

View Full Version : Simple question

Scott Cenicola
07-12-2016, 9:46 PM
I"m refinishing my kitchen cabinet doors. What is the best way to reinstall the hinges (back in to the same screw holes)? Fill the holes with Durhams rock hard putty? Slightly larger screws? Better suggestion is welcome. The cabinets are cruddy particle board, but replacing the carcasses is not an option. TIA

Lee Schierer
07-12-2016, 10:03 PM
If some of the screws are not holding, I would fill one hole at a time and use the hinge as a template to pilot drill the repaired hole. Once that hole is repaired, use it to locate the other holes after they are repaired. You can repair the bad holes with epoxy and drill a properly sized pilot hole for the screw to be used. Or, fill the bad hole with epoxy and insert into the uncured epoxy. Lube the screw threads with a light coat of grease before inserting it in the epoxy. Once the epoxy cures you should be able to remove the screw and leave a tapped hole for that screw thread behind.

You can then refinish the door after sanding the repaired area smooth.

Bradley Gray
07-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Kitchen matches dipped in glue for a quick repair. Matches are soft enough for the screws to self start without redrilling

Doug Hepler
07-12-2016, 11:10 PM
+1 on the kitchen matches dipped in PVA, or go first class with round hardwood toothpicks.

Doug

Robert Engel
07-13-2016, 6:04 AM
Make a drill guide out of a block of wood (a simple v notch will do) then drill a 1/8" hole then glue a piece of dowel in (make sure its hardwood).

Use a vix bit when you reinstall the hinges.

Scott Cenicola
07-13-2016, 7:03 AM
Thanks to all so far. I think I was unclear. I am more concerned about the holes in the particle board.

dan petroski
07-13-2016, 7:26 AM
Old screw holes should be just fine unless stripped out. Then use tooth pick or match as suggested. Just redid all the doors in our camper. Stripper and pressure washer worked like a charm. Had about 20 of them. Dan

Rich Engelhardt
07-13-2016, 7:33 AM
I always put a drop of glue in the old holes - regardless.
If the screws are a wobbly loose, I add a toothpick or matchstick

Wayne Lomman
07-13-2016, 8:52 AM
If it is in the edge of the particleboard use screws the same gauge but twice as long. Still drill the correct pilot hole. Otherwise glue matches in as already suggested. Cheers

Rich Riddle
07-13-2016, 10:01 PM
If you want to use the same holes, don't even introduce rock hard putty; it's named that for a reason. It doesn't sand well either. Match sticks gets another vote.