PDA

View Full Version : What is BLO good for.....

Bob Noles
09-24-2005, 5:34 PM
besides stinking?

My first time using this stuff restoring and old saw handle and I think I'm going to throw the can away :eek: Man does that stuff stink! I had to set the project outside to cure for a few weeks as it was running me out of the shop.

Just what is this stuff good for that another product like Watco oil couldn't do?

Joe Horne
09-24-2005, 6:19 PM
I'm with you Bob...........I don't use BLO either............I don't like the stink! :eek: The only thing I can think of is that BLO is cheap. I use Watco Natural Oil almost exclusively on turnings.........I just like it that much. I don't think BLO is any better at "popping" grain than any other oil finishing product.

Steve Schoene
09-24-2005, 9:33 PM
I never use it as a finish. It is often recommended to pop figure before using a more durable top coat, but if the top coat is also oil based the difference with or without BLO is small. It will make a bigger difference in appearance if the top coats are waterborne, but BLO will take a long time to cure well enough to make overcoating with waterborne finishes safe. A wiping varnish such as Waterlox, or an oil/varnish mix such as Watco will cure faster and look almost the same.

So, why do I always have some in my shop? I use it to slow down the drying of the stain that I mix from fresco pigments and thinned varnish. The BLO gives additional time for working.

Jules Dominguez
09-25-2005, 12:11 AM
I use Watco. It's relatively expensive but reliable and provides really long-term protection. That's one thing I can vouch for with the certainty of experience. I like the natural wood appearance. The finish is a little dull, but it can be dressed up if desired. Wax will shine it up, or rubbing on a topcoat of Watco with a very fine wet-dry sandpaper, or adding a wipe-on varnish top coat. On the other hand, if you want a glossy or even just a higher sheen finish, I'm not sure what the value of a first coat of oil is. Why not just start with the varnish or laquer or whatever? (I'm not derogating the practice, I'm a rank amateur and asking an honest question.)
I wasn't aware from reading the posts on finishing that the degree of odor associated with BLO was that much of a nuisance, but I've never used it.

Bob Noles
09-25-2005, 6:55 AM
Oh, but Jules.... You just have to try it so you know what your missing :D :D :D

I'm with the rest of you... this stuff is going, there are much better alternatives.

Jim Becker
09-25-2005, 11:29 AM
I personally like the smell of BLO...it's far less objectionable than many other things in cans!! I'll take it over varnish and lacquer ANY day... And the smell goes away once it's cured. Further, in most cases, it's used as a first step in a finishing regimen and once you seal with shellac...the smell is also gone.

I do use it as a final finish for many things; particularly decorative items, with just a coat or two of wax on top. Again, the odor is temporary.

BTW, many of the oil-based finishes we all use are based on BLO...it's obviously been changed in the "cooking" process as the finish is manufactured, but it's a common main ingredient.

Wes Bischel
09-25-2005, 1:13 PM
I personally like the smell of BLO.... Boy, I'm glad I'm not the only one!! :D :D

Bob, are you sure it was boiled and not raw? Boiled usually it doesn't take that long to cure - but raw linseed oil does take quite some time.

Just a thought,

Wes